|Job Type:||Full Time|
Vrbo is part of the Expedia Group family of brands. We are a world leader in the holiday rental industry with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect beach house, cottage, or apartment for any getaway.
Our mission is to make every holiday rental in the world available to every traveler through our online marketplace, and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect holiday rental to create unforgettable travel memories together.
About the role
As a UI Engineering Lead you will be the Technical authority working on cutting edge, open-source technologies to help the team solve problems of scale. As a member of Vrbo’s Landing Experience Team you will be responsible for ensuring our travellers have a delightful, relevant, and effortless experience through our Landing Pages such as Homepage,
supporting and driving our business growth. Based in London and Madrid, we're a multi-functional team composed of Product Managers, TPMs, Engineering Managers and Software Engineers. We believe in building high-quality software at scale and care about availability, scalability and systems resiliancy. Our tech stack consist mostly of Scala microservices, Cassandra, Kafka, NodeJS and React.
Motivated by emerging technologies you'll have a real desire be a part of a collaborative and fast-paced traveling environment at an exciting time with an ambitious roadmap to help Vrbo and Expedia Group consolidate its position as a major player in the vacation rental world.
What you will do:
- Develop fast, scalable, highly available, and reliable web apps
- Be at the forefront of building Vrbo’s next-generation user experiences
- Write unit, automation and integration tests to ensure the quality of your product
- Dedicated to delivering tested and optimized high-performance code for a distributed container-based architecture (our stack satisfies 10s of thousands of requests per second!)
- Use real-time user behaviour data, predictive science and A/B testing to better understand our customers
- Provide hands-on technical leadership and participate in architectural decision-making
- Collaborate with teammates across locations to deliver on common goals
- Identify and take ownership of technical initiatives
- Conduct design and peer code reviews
- Act as a role model to more junior engineers and assist with coaching
Technologies/tooling we use:
- ES6+, Node.js, React.js, Jest, Puppeteer, Webdriver, HTML5, CSS3, Less, Hapi.js, Webpack, AWS, Docker, Scala, Git
- Splunk, Datadog, Jenkins, Sentry, lighthouse
Who You Are:
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Experienced in developing highly available enterprise web applications with state of the art front end web technologies
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work across multiple departments
- Passionate problem solver with a focus on high quality user experience
- Mobile first responsive design experience
- Cross-browser development & compatibility experience
- Enjoy opportunities to showcase your work on our tech blog and internal & external conferences
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple.Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.We build the sites of our customers’ dreams. We build the tools that don’t exist so we can solve globally-scaled problems. We don’t expect answers to fall in our laps, which is why we’re conditioned to test, learn, and repeat.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.