|Job Type:||Full Time|
As Microsoft’s Cloud business continues to scale and mature, land acquisition and development, Build to Suit Development and regional strategy development will be critical components to the success of our delivery. Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO+I) will be delivering and executing against strategies to control our destiny through owned and developed sites and requires specific subject matter expertise in order to be successful.
Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO+I) is the team behind the Microsoft Cloud. CO+I is responsible for delivering all Data Center Infrastructure capacity to support our systems to deliver for our customers required demand. Our focus is on smart growth, high quality delivered to meet demand while reducing the cost of the overall delivery. We are looking for a passionate, high energy individual to help build the infrastructure that powers Microsoft’s online services.
The Land Development Organization is responsible for the delivery and pre-positioning of Data Center real estate needed to build out Microsoft’s cloud infrastructure. The types of projects include land acquisition and pre-development, Build to Suit lease development and working on the development of incentives for those projects. The Real Estate Development Manager will be key party responsible for coordination across the Acquisition Manager, Engineering and Design, Utility, Fiber and other key parties to ensure an end to end coordinated delivery for data center development. The Development Manager will be a key player in both the strategy development, execution and site development of our projects. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to make a significant contribution and impact to one of the largest data center portfolios.
The Real Estate Development Manager is part of a team of real estate experts and acquisition managers but works across the greater organization to drive an effective, fast and efficient development process to eliminate gaps between teams and ensure acquisition and delivery of various Real Estate Development projects. He or she will be responsible for driving appropriate cross team delivery in the review, due diligence, design and entitlement of data centers to allow for the construction and delivery of our critical infrastructure. This will entail establishing the appropriate delivery teams and having the commercial and practical experience to take on development challenges across numerous markets and drive effective development practices to achieve our targeted scale.
In order to be successful, you must have a strong background in Real Estate development, be able to work in a dynamic and global organization, and have a strong desire to continually learn and innovate.
In particular, we will expect you to:
1. Have a specific knowledge of Real Estate planning and development to include due diligence processes and contracting, A/E design processes, zoning, permitting, utility delivery, full entitlement, etc.
2. Have a working knowledge of a broad range of Commercial Real Estate aspects to include acquisition processes, design and construction.
3. Have a working knowledge of financial analysis and pricing impacts of various elements of development to identify risk and cost impacts earlier in process and keep big picture impact on overall project costs to assess trade offs.
4. Have general knowledge and experience with a broad variety of construction means and methods
5. Have the strategic vision and executive presence to develop and present strategic plans and regional strategies.
6. Be able to develop and document comprehensive business cases, deal summaries, and executive presentations
7. Be fluent in business English (additional regional languages are a plus)
8. Work well within a fast-paced organization who is a self-starter, process-minded, and collaborative.
Candidates must have:
- 5 years minimum direct experience in Real Estate Land Acquisition and Development or consulting work in Real Estate Development.
- 5 years minimum experience working on projects engaging directly with municipalities, AHJ’s and utility districts to drive appropriate resolutions to development.
- 5 years minimum experience working on projects that include the development and review of financial models to understand specific development pro-forma and valuation components.
- 5 years minimum direct working experience with the core Microsoft products (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, SharePoint)
- 10 years of combined working experience in the real estate, design, construction industries.
- Bachelor’s degree in any industry related field.
Ideally will have:
1. Direct Data Center development experience.
2. Experience in reviewing construction bidding packages and experience working through zoning and permitting in multiple markets.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.