About the Role:
The Director of Strategy for Neuroscience at Abcam is a high profile, leadership role responsible for driving Abcam’s short and long range commercial and marketing strategies for its portfolio of both inhouse developed and externally sourced neuroscience products across a range of product categories. Your goal is to identify the unmet needs of end users across all of Abcam’s customer segments and launch market leading solutions to rapidly resolve these needs.
Line managing an established team of 2, the role is responsible for driving understanding of the strengths and opportunities within the existing neuroscience portfolio, understanding the market both now and its future direction along with the needs of Abcam’s consumers, as well as understanding and fully utilising inhouse product development capabilities, collaborating with the R&D team to identify opportunities to expand on these capabilities, and with the Commercial and Business Development teams to develop broad consumer partnerships.
About the Research Area Strategy Team:
The Research Area Strategy Team are a highly committed, enthusiastic and ambitious team, focused on collaborative working, innovation and strategic thinking, who thrive on the challenge of achieving stretching goals. The team work in a fast-paced environment where they take a solution first approach to problem solving and are very results focused, with a strong sense of accountability for achieving their goals. What’s more, they have a strong sense of fun and energy.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Following thorough review of the recommendations made by the team, decide on the definition and most appropriate tactics for the execution of the commercial strategy to deliver a step change in revenue growth of the neuroscience product portfolio and achieve challenging annual revenue and margin targets.
- Make recommendations into the development of the inhouse R&D pipeline, covering new product types and platforms as well as existing.
- Continually analyse the neuroscience field and provide insight to proactively support the development and execution of the commercial strategy.
- Decide which key products and customers to target to develop partnerships that enhance Abcam’s global reputation as a leading partner in neuroscience research.
- Recommend the development of new pricing initiatives for the neuroscience portfolio.
- Make recommendations into the development of product datasheets and protocols specifically for the neuroscience product range.
- Drive the development of the quality criteria required for the neuroscience portfolio.
- Make recommendations on inbound and outbound product collaboration opportunities for follow up by the Portfolio Development, Business Development and Custom Products & Licensing teams.
- Make decisions on which candidates should form Abcam’s external network of scientific advisors in the field. Develop and maintain relationships with these advisors.
- Develop and deliver impactful presentations to key external audiences on Abcam’s capabilities in neuroscience research to support and input into the process of external engagement for inbound and outbound partnership opportunities.
- Develop highly collaborative relationships across all global departments and provide recommendations into new commercial opportunities to deliver the neuroscience strategy and revenue growth.
- Represent the voice of the global neuroscience consumer and market across the business.
You will be able to demonstrate significant (at least 10 years) leadership experience in business development in the Biotech/Pharma or Diagnostics industry (ideally also significant experience in sales and marketing). In addition, you will have extensive experience of closing commercial deals. You will preferably have experience in all approaches to antibody development and antibody applications. You will hold a minimum of a BSc in biological sciences or equivalent, a PhD would be advantageous. A background in neuroscience research would be a distinct advantage.
You will have proven ability to establish strong working relationships internally and externally. Strong analytical skills and the ability to communicate and present findings and recommendations effectively at a senior level will be key to this role.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.