|Job Type:||Full Time|
Department NameNorth Staffordshire, Sleaford, Boston, Lincoln, Market Rasen, North London, Derby, Oakham, Leicester
About Network Rail
Our Grade 2 Signaller roles are your entry into a rewarding career at Network Rail....
You'll play an integral part in the safe movement of trains across our network; connecting people, businesses and communities. We'll provide you with all the training you need to keep our passengers moving.
From our signalling teams working in lone signal boxes and busy regional operating centres, to our dedicated maintenance teams who are out in all weathers, to the wide variety of other roles across our business. We're there to deliver with care and pride for our passengers and freight companies, and to each play our role in one of the most important organisations in Britain. For more information about Network Rail click here.
Doesn't that sound like an organisation that's worth joining?
Your decisions make all the difference...
As a Signaller, you'll take great care to make sure trains travel safely and efficiently along your part of the network.
After your initial training, you'll typically start working within a signal box. The network runs day and night and so you'll be comfortable working on a shift pattern basis to keep our passengers moving.
Whilst you'll be part of a signal box team, you'll also be comfortable with working on your own for long periods of time. And when things do go wrong, such as a trespasser on the line, you'll use your training, problem solving skills and quick thinking to get our passengers moving safely onwards to their destination.
And whether the lone signal box becomes your office, or you later progress to working within one of our bigger regional centres you can be sure that every day you are making a real impact on our passengers, businesses and wider communities.
Our Signaller community takes great pride in putting our passengers first. It's not a job for everyone but if you make the grade then you can look forward to a rewarding and fulfilling career.
We recruit grade 2 signallers from a variety of different backgrounds and industries, with the focus more on your personal qualities and behaviours. Whilst no formal experience is required, any work you've done which has required concentration, is safety critical and involves communicating with others would stand you in good stead. Candidates with more specific skills and experience may also be considered for higher level grades.
About the role (External)
Signalling is great for those with good skills in...
- Communication - A variety of clear communication skills are essential in the Signalling role. You will be required to deliver safety critical communications with colleagues and stakeholders to ensure processes and safety standards are adhered to at all times.
- Ability to learn - Due to its safety critical nature, there is a lot to learn to become a competent Signaller.
- Ability to work alone - Every Signaller requires the ability to operate efficiently and make safety critical decisions confidently on an individual basis.
- Ability to work as part of a team - Despite being able to work confidently alone, it is important you are a team player.
- Attention to detail - The Signaller role requires consistent high levels of attention but varying levels of concentration.
- Multi-Tasking - You will be expected to deal with phone calls, signal trains, block lines for maintenance work and complete administration tasks.
- Working Under Pressure - Due to the intense and challenging events that can occur on the railway, it is crucial you are able to remain calm whilst working under pressure.
- Decision Making - By its nature, the Signaller roles requires you to make safety critical decisions throughout the course of your shift.
How to apply (External)
Salary: £29,221 Grade 2 (salary whilst training, £26,485)
Closing date: August 16th 2020 Late applications will not be accepted.
Click 'apply now' to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Click here for more information
Want to find out about what benefits we offer? click here
All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks. Click here for more information