|Job Type:||Full Time|
Department NameHR Business Partner - Scotland (109006) G5
About Network Rail
We at Network Rail are dedicated to becoming one of Britain's best employers and believe this starts with placing the candidate at the heart of everything we do!
Our ambition to be responsive to passengers and freight users, drives us every day and we're empowered to do the right thing for those who use the rail network. We actively challenge unsafe practices and take responsibility for addressing risks, resolving issues and protecting safety and wellbeing.
We're passionate about great service and we ask ourselves, what can we do to put our passengers and freight users at the centre of everything we do? We pull together as one industry because we care about people and teamwork is key. For more information about Network Rail click here.
Scotland's Railway covers a large geographical area from the Borders to Thurso at the far tip of the North East of Scotland, accounting for almost 20 per cent of the GB rail network. Our network supports 2,500 passenger and up to 50 freight services operating every day and we are steadily building more capacity for this to grow. Our railway provides rapid access along busy commuter routes to our seven cities, servicing the varied needs of our business and leisure commuter services, including cross border services and rural services.
As part of the Strategy & Investment team, we work very closely with Transport Scotland (the national transport agency for Scotland), Regional Transport Partnerships, Local Authorities as well as the train and freight operating companies to identify the outcomes the Scottish Government wish the railway to deliver (such as sustainable economic growth or a reduction in carbon emissions) and we translate them into train or infrastructure enhancements. We are collaborating with the rail industry to decarbonise the railway in Scotland by 2035 as well as investigating what Glasgow Central needs to deliver for passengers over the next 30 years.
As Senior Strategic Planner you will develop the long-term plan for Scotland's Railway; taking cognisance of Scottish Government's priorities for rail, the carbon agenda, local development plans as well as considering the opportunities linked with maintenance and renewal plans.You will work closely with government officials, ScotRail and Regional Transport Partnerships as part of the wider "Team Scotland" approach to developing rail initiatives.
About the role (External)
There are some particular capabilities we are looking for that will fit the team, this role and our objectives:
- Able to define problem statements given competing stakeholder priorities and viewpoints
- Capable of interpreting and suggesting changes to Regulatory processes to reflect the implications of future proposals
- Critical thinker who can thoroughly evaluate the merits across a variety of diverse options
- Excellent communicator who can deliver messages accurately and generates interest
- Forward thinker who is willing to propose and promote innovative ideas
- Confident in influencing a variety of stakeholders to achieve constructive outcomes
- Comfortable leading actual and virtual small teams to achieve common goals
- Experiencing of managing projects with challenging requirements and deadlines
- Understanding of programme benefits realisation principles and good practice
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Experience of network strategy and business planning
- Understanding of the basic infrastructure issues which influence capacity
- Numerate degree or equivalent
- Good relationship management with good experience of cross-functional, collaborative working
- Good communication skills (both written and verbal) skills
- Good commercial and financial awareness, including understanding economic trade-off analysis
- Knowledge of rail industry and commercial framework
- Knowledge of Network Rail's sponsorship and investment processes and procedures
- Knowledge of project development and delivery processes
- A wide-ranging knowledge of the customers and assets of the route
Further, an appreciation of the structure and priorities of the UK rail industry, specifically relating to the Network Code is useful; however, we definitely welcome high-calibre candidates with experience from other industries who are passionate about being on the side of passengers and freight users.
How to apply (External)
Salary: £42,971 - £48,342
Closing date: 07 August 2020. Late applications will not be accepted.
Click 'apply now' to apply.
Please clearly show in your application and include a covering letter explaining your suitability for the role how your skills and experience match the requirements of this role.
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do. Safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail.You should demonstrate your personal dedication to safety on your application.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Click here for more information
At Network Rail we support our staff through a range of good practice (Everyone Matters) guides such as 𝗦𝘂𝗽𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴𝗖𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗿𝘀 and 6 staff Networks including Archway (LGBTQi+), CanDo (staff with disabilities), Cultural Fusion (BAME staff), Faith and Belief, Inspire (gender) and Myriad (staff with caring responsibilities).
We celebrate events such as the Chinese New Year, Gurpurab, Ramadan and Eid, participate in annual Pride events and host a staff Christmas carol service.
To ensure an improved representation in our workforce, applications are particularly welcome from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic people, females, LGBTQi+ people and people with disabilities.
Want to find out about what benefits we offer? click here
All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks. Click here for more information
We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes