|Job Type:||Full Time|
JPMorgan Chase & Co. is a leading global financial services firm with assets of more than $2.4 trillion, over 250,000 employees and operations in over 60 countries. It operates across four business segments including Asset & Wealth Management, Corporate and Investment Banking, Commercial Banking and Consumer and Community Banking. J.P. Morgan Asset Management (JPMAM) is the marketing name for the investment management businesses of JPMorgan Chase & Co. and its affiliates worldwide.
The JPMAM Global Investment Stewardship team is recruiting for an Investment Stewardship Specialist covering the EMEA region. The successful candidate will support the delivery of the annual and long-term objectives of the JPMAM Investment Stewardship global priorities by leading and driving regional efforts in corporate engagement, proxy voting and reporting. The role will be in a front office environment and will involve regular interaction with our research analysts and portfolio managers across Equities, Fixed Income and Multi-Assets Solutions to coordinate and align engagement activities and voting proxies, as well as engaging with representatives of the companies in which we invest on their environmental, social and governance policies and practices.
The successful candidate will possess a passion for creative and critical thinking about financial markets, and a desire to be part of a fast-growing team. This role will report to the EMEA Head of Investment Stewardship.
Expectations of the role
- Drive corporate engagement in collaboration with the local investment teams in EMEA; develop the engagement agenda and pipeline; coordinate between different investment teams to ensure alignment on key engagement issues.
- Design engagement framework for specific environmental, social and governance (ESG) themes and deliver sector-specific criteria and measurement.
- Engage with representatives of portfolio companies at senior levels to encourage business practices that support sustainable long-term performance and to ensure an understanding of JPMAM’s views on ESG, corporate governance and stakeholders rights.
- Execute on proxy voting in accordance with the appropriate guidelines and internal research to ensure the fulfillment of our fiduciary duty; participate in the EMEA Proxy Voting Committee.
- Develop and take ownership of reporting of corporate engagement and voting activities for the region in collaboration with the local investment teams; partner with JPMAM’s client servicing teams and with clients directly to ensure client reporting and client presentations meet expectations, and that client queries on our stewardship activities are responded to promptly and to the satisfaction of the client.
- Represent Investment Stewardship at JPMAM in the EMEA region; work with regulators and industry bodies on stewardship codes and relevant regulations; participate in investor roundtable discussions and external conferences to gauge subject matter scope defining the continually expanding governance landscape.
- Build key working relationships across internal constituents from investment teams, business teams and corporate teams
- Produce thought leadership / white papers on investment stewardship topics.
Required skills for the role:
- Minimum undergraduate with a degree in finance, economics, law, accounting or public policy.
- 15+ years of financial services experience preferably in Asset Management with previous exposure to investment stewardship activities; or a background in a specialist organization/ sustainability-focused advocacy group/ think-tank/ NGO; high level of specialist knowledge of sustainability related issues including environmental, social and governance pillars.
- Proven presentation, communication and influencing skills; strong report writing skills; ability to engage with clients / corporates / industry bodies / regulators at a high level.
- Ability / willingness to work with key internal groups – portfolio managers, analysts, product specialists, RFP teams, corporate actions teams; previous buy-side or sell-side research experience an advantage.
- Ability to work and drive change effectively in a high volume, rapid pace, deadline-oriented environment.
- Driven, strategic thinking, passionate about upholding fiduciary responsibility and driving responsible corporate and business practices to deliver long-term sustainable economic growth.
- Team player.
- Desire to continue to learn and upgrade domain knowledge in ESG
- Strong self-motivation and analytical skills.