|Job Type:||Full Time|
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn't have, games that are uniquely Rare! Working here offers opportunities unlike anywhere else. You'll be providing players with unforgettable shared experiences in games loved by millions worldwide. Our pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, launched in 2018, is still going strong – and alongside that we're busy creating our next magical world, Everwild, announced in 2019 to a global audience.
We strive to make Rare an amazing place to work, embracing a culture of respect and building a supportive environment for our developers. Our custom-built Twycross studio is situated in the beautiful English countryside, surrounded by woodland and wildlife, with plenty of room for us to grow. Studio benefits are catered to making life easier for staff, including flexible working, a bonus scheme, an industry-leading pension package, private healthcare, mental health initiatives and free events for employees and their families.
By joining Rare, you'll be joining one of the finest studios in the industry with support from the wider Xbox Game Studios network. We're always on the lookout for exceptional people who can bring their expertise and unique thinking to help make our team even stronger!
We are looking for an experienced Senior Technical Artist to join our growing Technical Art team at Rare. We want to hear from people who have a passion for solving difficult challenges, a thirst for innovation and a drive for just making the best games possible.
You will be part of a dynamic team whose key responsibility is to push for quality and efficiency wherever possible. Your role works across all art and design teams as well as engineering disciplines to help define and assist flexible content pipelines, working collaboratively on new cutting edge features, whilst always searching for ways we can improve.
If you have the skills and passion we are looking for and, most importantly, want to be part of something special, we want to hear from you!
The role can be based in either Twycross or London. If London, then travel to Twycross will be required as per business needs.
- Deliver complete tool sets independently.
- Work with the Art Teams and the Leads to deliver the game to the artistic vision
- Identify and create tools to improve art pipelines
- Support the Art, Engineering and Design teams, helping to resolve technical difficulties
- Identify production risks and development improvements
- Implement briefs provided by other teams, delivering reliable tools in a realistic timeframe
- Proactively identify new technologies and techniques that will improve the game
- When required, create concise documentation of toolsets that the team can rely on
- Help keep Assets / Content within memory budget and follow performance guidelines
Required Experience & Qualifications
- A professional portfolio or technical blog
- Degree in Computer Science/Similar related subject or equivalent development experience
- Fully established game development experience, including seeing projects from beginning to end as a Technical Artist.
- Experience working on a console.
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python/C#/C++/HLSL
- Deep knowledge of 3D creation packages (Maya/Max/Houdini/Zbrush/etc)
- Good knowledge of 3D graphics and any chosen area of expertise.
- Up-to-date experience and knowledge of current game development practices and terminology
- Artistic ability
- Eye for quality control and detail
- Problem-solving skills, with the ability to existing knowledge to rapidly improvise solutions
- Technical understanding with the capacity to learn and utilize new skills quickly
- Experienced in dealing with the idiosyncrasies of team project work
- Ability to take direction and constructive feedback
- Experience with Unreal Engine or equivalent is a plus.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.