A scientist position is available in the Abcam Cell Engineering Team. This is an exciting opportunity to join a rapidly growing group focused on generating a large collection of physiologically relevant cellular models for the scientific community.
In this role, you will use cutting edge technologies and CRISPR/ genome editing to endogenously modify and characterise a variety of cell lines i.e. cancer cells, mammalian or primary cells, immune and neurones cells. As part of the Technology Development department you will work within a multifaceted community with broad technical expertise to improve current gene editing techniques. This laboratory-based role will give you the opportunity to apply your molecular and cell biology expertise; obtain practical experience in launching large pipeline of cellular models; build expertise in multiple research areas i.e. Neuroscience, Epigenetics, Immunology-oncology and Cardiovascular metabolism; and finally collaboratively work across many business areas with local and global matrix teams.
We are looking for a committed, enthusiastic and motivated person with relevant technical knowledge, analytical skills, problem-solving abilities and a passion for learning. As this is a constantly developing field, you will need to be swiftly responsive, adaptable and able to deliver impact quickly with new tasks and new technologies. A successful candidate for this position is a real team worker, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, able to engage with various stakeholders.
- PhD in Biology, Molecular biology or a related discipline
- Experience with CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing
- Experience with designing and implementing focused or genome-wide CRISPR screen
- Experience in characterisation of samples at genomic, RNA and protein levels using a variety of technologies and assays for measuring relevant phenotypes
- Experience with automation and liquid handling
- Developing and running phenotypic assays such as cellular imaging and FACS
- Hands-on experience with various cellular models: cancer, immune and primary cells, neurones and stem cells
- Strong experimental design and problem-solving skills
- Proven knowledge in Oncology, Immunology or Neuroscience
- Scientific excellence as shown by previous work, publication history and references from scientific mentors
- Excellent team working, communication and networking skills with experience of interacting effectively across interfaces of discipline, culture, and expertise.
- Experience of cell-based assays and high content imaging
- Experience in mechanism and signal transduction in following areas: Immuno-Oncology/Oncology or Neuroscience
- Experience in NGS and NGS data analysis
- Experience of Mass Spectrometry
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs. It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences. Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (which includes shares for eligible employees), a culture focused on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development