As Head of Terminal Engineering you will be a key member of the Terminals Senior Management Team (‘SMT’) and will be responsible for leading and directing the engineering team, managing all key aspects of terminal engineering and crane maintenance and repair within the terminal platform.
- Lead and direct the engineering team to ensure all crane maintenance, renewal and upgrade projects in the G&W UK portfolio are completed, working with the platform OD’s to scope out, develop the business plan and cost key initiatives or projects within the platform, as required;
- Develop and implement the strategy, policy and engineering standards for the maintenance, renewal and repair of all crane and associated assets;
- Manage the technical reliability and availability improvement of key terminal and crane projects arising due to changes in standards or for business needs;
- Work with the platform OD’s to plan and agree annual budgets for crane and associated maintenance and development at all key locations;
- Have overall responsibility for the crane repair, renewal and upgrade project portfolio and associated project budgets ensuring these are delivered to time and budget. Undertake direct management of complex or challenging projects as required;
- Lead and direct the internal Regional Engineering Manager and external third parties in management of crane and terminal projects in their area of responsibility, with due regard to whether they are of a safety critical nature or have an environmental impact. This pertains to staff, suppliers, contractors, sub-contractors within your virtual team as required per specific project;
- Work jointly, and cohesively, with other senior members of the engineering SMT to share best practice across the business and achieve synergies wherever possible. Actively participate in and contribute at monthly Engineering SMT meetings;
- Effectively manage the Terminal Engineering team to nurture and develop talent, ensure capable management succession and ensure the team is appropriately motivated and developed so that they carry out their responsibilities to the required standard; Ensure adherence to all required policies and procedures as they relate to your role;
- Promote a mindset of “Safety First” and instil an ethos of continual safety improvement and work closely with the Group Safety team to ensure that all safety and operating standards are adhered to;
- A leader with good interpersonal skills to organise, motivate, manage and develop the engineering team;
- Ideally Chartered engineer status (or working towards) with a minimum 5 years engineering experience with specific experience of electrical/mechanical engineering aspects of gantry cranes;
- Extensive project engineering and management experience;
- Good working knowledge and appreciation of the operations associated with rail port connected container terminals would be a distinct advantage;
- Project management skills as well as proficiency in the use of PM software desirable;
- Previous experience of managing multi-million-pound projects from concept to completion, most specifically experience of electrical and mechanical equipment projects;
- Willingness to work unsociable hours from time to time at key points in the project delivery cycle;
- Commercially astute, articulate and technically strong with the ability to operate at both a strategic and an operational level;
- As the terminal platform covers sites all over the UK you would ideally be located in the Manchester, Midlands or Leeds area. There is a requirement to travel to these sites as part of the role.
- A competitive salary
- Final Salary Pension Scheme
- Generous leave entitlement
- Generous employee benefits package, including attractive corporate discounts.
- Training and development opportunities
We fully support a healthy work/life balance and have a free, confidential Employee Assistance Programme to promote well-being.