The Telegraph is looking for an ambitious journalist to join its growing business team as a senior reporter on a fixed-term contract basis to cover a period of parental leave from summer 2020.
The principal focus of the senior reporter will be to produce strong, interesting business content which will work as well digitally as it does in print. The role will involve the coverage of a variety of areas of the corporate and economic world, and may include a specialism at some point.
Applicants will need to have an acute news sense and be demonstrable self-starters. They will also need to be numerically literate, team players, and digitally savvy.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience covering business news in a newspaper, newswire or digital environment.
- Reporting on breaking news stories and covering major corporate and economic events.
- Writing engaging features and in-depth explainers on a variety of subjects.
- Delivering off-diary news stories.
- Ensuring fast and accurate filing of copy.
- Having the versatility to cover a range of business subject areas.
- Responsible for helping to maximise digital engagement through concise and interesting storytelling.
Essential skills required for the role
- Experience of covering either business and/or economic news in a newspaper, newswire or digital environment.
- Experience of reporting on news and developing stories on digital and print platforms.
- Able to spot stories and opportunities from raw data.
- Demonstrable proof of the ability to tell stories in a concise but interesting way.
- Digitally savvy - understanding of digital storytelling and optimisation of content on online platforms.
Additional skills useful for the role
- Understanding of social media and SEO.
- Strong news sense and judgement.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.