|Job Type:||Full Time|
Department NameFI Finance Controller Maint & Ops & Cust Serv SE (338288) G4
About Network Rail
We at Network Rail are dedicated to becoming one of Britain's best employers and believe this starts with placing the candidate at the heart of everything we do!
Our ambition to be responsive to passengers and freight users, drives us every day and we're empowered to do the right thing for those who use the rail network. We actively challenge unsafe practices and take responsibility for addressing risks, resolving issues and protecting safety and wellbeing.
We're passionate about great service and we ask ourselves, what can we do to put our passengers and freight users at the centre of everything we do? We pull together as one industry because we care about people and teamwork is key. For more information about Network Rail click here.
Scotland's Railway covers a large geographical area from the Borders to Thurso at the far tip of the North East of Scotland, accounting for almost 20 per cent of the UK rail network. We provide rapid access along busy commuter routes to our seven cities, servicing the varied needs of our business and leisure commuter services, including cross border services and rural services. We have up to 50 freight services operating every day and we are steadily building capacity for this to grow.
As Senior Finance Business Partner [Property] you will work as an integral member of the supported business senior leadership team, to proactively identify, plan and meet the finance needs of the business in order to improve business performance, in coordination with other members of the wider finance team as required.You will positively challenge Senior Leaders, budgets and business activities to enable the best business outcomes are delivered.
About the role (External)
Dealing with the Scotland Region property portfolio, the role will be responsible for business partnering with senior stakeholders across property and the wider regional team. Key accountabilities will include business partnering, forecasting, period-end accounting (include income, opex and property sales), investment and balance sheet management. Working closely with the regional property director and their team, the role will be key in helping to shape the new regional property business and in bringing together the forecast. The role will sit within a supportive finance team and would suit a qualified finance professional with commercial (preferably property) experience. This is an ideal opportunity for an ambitious accountant to really help shape regional property strategies and become an integral part of the regional property team to cover a wide variety of different property classes.
1.Consolidate, critically review and provide technical advice and guidance on periodic financial results and forecasts to Identify and monitor risks, opportunities and efficiencies to minimise the financial and legal impact on the business area.
2.Provide robust professional recommendations and financial guidance on accounting guidelines and standards to enable the business to be financially and legally compliant.
3.Provide technical and professional oversight of the periodic accounts, relevant analysis and preparation of business plans and budgets to enable the business to make effective decisions.
4.Develop, understand and influence the cost and income drivers relevant to the business area to deliver the yearly business plan and manage to the overall settlement by effective decision making.
5.Influence, coach and challenge senior budget holders in understanding the impact of their period results and forecasts against budgets in order to manage their business more effectively and manage within budgeting limits.
6.Proactively challenge budget holders plans and budget submissions to understand the overall plan, providing advice and new initiatives to save costs and be more efficient as an organisation.
7.Drive, adapt and deliver key KPI'S and deliverables for the function, highlighting any significant issues and trends with financial and other business results to aid decision makers to make efficiencies.
8.Lead in budget holder key meetings on financial performance to provide professional financial advice and guidance to drive business decisions, minimise risk and deliver good corporate governance.
9.Develop, drive and implement investment decisions and new business activities, working collaboratively with senior leaders to explore new opportunities and drive business performance.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Membership (or working towards membership) of a relevant accounting body (CIMA/ACCA/ICAEW) or equivalent experience
- Excellent stakeholder engagement and communication skills all levels. This should include Customers; 3rd party representatives, other business & functional leaders and key support personnel.
- Successful relevant experience working in a complex financial environment including demonstrable experience in managing business risks, professional financial control and forward planning.
- Demonstrable record of budget management, governance and ability to understand and interpret commercial and financial landscapes (budgets, forecasts, actual status).
- Significant experience in managing ambiguity in a financial environment with strong evaluation and decision-making skills.
- Excellent technical Financial and Accounting knowledge and application of that knowledge in a complex and commercial environment.
- Educated to degree level in a relevant discipline, for example accounting and finance, business management or equivalent demonstrable experience in finance
- Full membership of relevant post graduate professional body (CIMA/ACCA/ICAEW)
- Experience of Oracle based systems
- Substantial experience within multiple finance disciplines
- Knowledge and technical expertise of Government accounting and relevant financial governance
- Understanding of project management principles and experience of managing complex projects to successful conclusion.
How to apply (External)
Salary: £51,156 - £57,551
Closing date: 08 July 2020. Late applications will not be accepted.
Click 'apply now' to apply.
Please clearly show in your application how your skills and experience match the requirements of this role.
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do. Safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail.You should demonstrate your personal dedication to safety on your application.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Click here for more information
Want to find out about what benefits we offer? click here
All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks. Click here for more information
We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volume