About the role
Join Abcam’s IT Team as the Architect responsible for evolving and realising Abcam’s API-led vision and roadmap. Define and govern best practices across the API design and development lifecycle ensuring maximum re-use and API self-service throughout Abcam. This role is a key member of the MuleSoft Centre for Enablement (C4E) and working with the Integration Platform Production Manager you will help build the C4E and embed the MuleSoft platform into the foundations of Abcam’s technology landscape and evangelise about its benefits.
This role requires experience of architecting, designing and implementing integration and API solutions, ideally with MuleSoft, as well as a thorough understanding of API-led connectivity, the application network, industry trends, frameworks and best practice.
Key Roles & responsibilities:
Collaborate with the Integration Platform Product Manager to build the C4E, ensuring full team alignment in terms of technology, objectives and messaging.
Responsible for the evolution of the API roadmap and adoption of API-Led Connectivity.
Provide advice and governance to the delivery teams to ensure re-use of C4E assets and adherence to API-Led best practices.
- Develop solution designs for integrations to meet business requirements in accordance with the key Architecture Principles of Abcam.
- Working as part of the C4E, ensure alignment between the API roadmap and the MuleSoft platform roadmap.
- Provide technical design assistance for key programme initiatives, mapping platform capabilities to solution architecture requirements.
- Identify architectural challenges & risks and devise mitigations through creation of new reusable C4E assets.
- Interact with Business Analysts, Architects, Software Engineers and Operations to ensure the end-to-end project/programme success.
- Key contributor and reviewer of internal repository of C4E assets.
- Evangelise about the benefits of the MuleSoft platform and help drive adoption throughout Abcam.
- Guide API Designers and Software Engineers across all the relevant stages of the API delivery lifecycle.
- Share and disseminate knowledge to the wider Architecture team members and other technical teams.
Excellent knowledge of the API lifecycle from requirements through to retirement.
- Practical & comprehensive knowledge of enterprise integration & API patterns, technologies and architectures.
- Good working knowledge of MuleSoft as a developer, API designer and as an architect
- Exposure to CI/CD technologies and practices.
- Ability to understand business requirements and to realise these through API design.
- Detailed understanding of MuleSoft deployment models.
- Mentor and support Technical Specialists across the IT and business technology landscape.
- Good knowledge of Cloud platforms (iPaaS, PaaS, IaaS and SaaS), features and capabilities.
- Understanding of key operational KPIs and the supporting monitoring & alerting solutions.
- Credibility in front of business colleagues at all levels and ability to describe complete technical concepts in business terms.
- Awareness of API security models, including authentication, authorisation, encryption, and client management.
- Good knowledge of the product stack used in support of the API lifecycle, including API design, application development, API gateways, connectors and Control Planes.
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, USA, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome driven, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (which includes shares for eligible employees), a culture which emphasises wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.