|Job Type:||Full Time|
Department NameEastern Region - Northern Programmes
About Network Rail
The Great North Rail Project is the most ambitious programme of railway improvements in the North since Victorian times and Network Rail is at the heart of this transformation.Our customers will benefit from faster, more frequent and safer journeys, as well as new direct services across the North and beyond.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of the Northern Programmes team, which will transform the routes and deliver infrastructure that creates a faster, safer and more reliable railway across the North of England.
So come be part of a team who strive to deliver complex projects safely, on time and cost effectively which will improve the railway for the North.We will support you to learn and develop in your career and give you the recognition you would expect from the Industry Leader!
The role of Senior Project Engineer Acceptance will be responsible for reviewing and supporting the Programme Authorisation Strategy for Transpenine Route Upgrade, Development and Enhancement.
Leading the CSM improvement strategy, CSM matrix and lead the CSM community group in TRU, Enhancement and Development across Northern Programmes
Provide critical feedback on early development of the Programme Authorisation strategy staging meetings with, and guidance to, Safety Assurance Managers across Northern Programmes
You will develop ORR interface strategy, supporting programme with ORR meeting and interface to resolve any issues
You will share best practices and lesson learnt to facilitate collaboration in Northern Programmes and continuous improvement through
- Attending DRG and share learnings with the community.
- Facilitating the provision of best practice examples from other programmes
- Carrying out programme assurance and audits
- Providing functional support and briefing
- Produce programme wide authorisation plans
About the role (External)
- Implement Network Rail systems and procedures to deliver a cost effective, high quality and
safe approach to design, construction, commissioning and other technical activities on
relevant projects. Review all relevant legislation and liaise with relevant governmental departments.
- Monitor the competence of all Project Engineers working on projects within the functional discipline and provide functional guidance, direction and briefing.
- Apply engineering controls and procedures to all projects and check whether all design and construction contracts include reference to appropriate Railway Group and Network Rail Company standards applicable to their discipline.
- Apply relevant techniques and procedures of quantified and qualitative risk assessment and
HAZOP analysis to all projects and check whether the environmental aspects of all projects
are managed in accordance with Network Rail Environmental Policy.
- Monitor all projects for compliance with Railway Group and Network Rail Company standards
and Network Rail project control procedures.
- Advise project and programme management in respect of all construction activities, testing and commissioning, and site supervision. Monitor whether the design and construction elements meet the requirements of legislation, including construction design management (CDM) regulations.
- Assure whether contractors' design, construction and specialist personnel are competent.
- Undertake reviews of design and construction activities.Arrange audits of contractors to monitor whether safety and quality of design, construction testing and commissioning and management systems are adequate.
- Undertake the duties of nominated design and construction / design construction engineer.
- Undertake accident investigations when remitted to by the relevant designated competent person.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Significant experience in engineering disciplines, ideally with involvement in construction and
design projects across multi discipline areas
- Technical qualifications to at least HND level or equivalent
- Membership of a relevant professional institution
- Experience of major contracting
- Knowledge of structuring safety cases in support of projects
- Knowledge of safety management and quality assurance
- Understanding of the arrangements required for the independent assessment of works
- Accident investigation experience
- Six Sigma Yellow Belt
- Chartered status or equivalent in the particular discipline
- Appreciation of environmental issues in engineering works
How to apply (External)
Every day, there are more than 4.8 million journeys made in the UK and more than 600 freight trains run on the network. People depend on Britain's railway for their daily commute, to visit friends and loved ones and to get them home safe every day. Our role is to deliver a safe and reliable railway, so we carefully manage and deliver thousands of projects every year.We are in an exciting period of change and building a culture where we treat people the way we want to be treated ourselves.
Salary: Band 3C salary: starting at £51,156 and increasing to £57,551 per annum
Closing date: Thursday 28th May 2020. Late applications will not be accepted. We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes
Click 'apply now' to apply.
This is a Fixed Term opportunity for 6 months.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Click here for more information
Want to find out about what benefits we offer? click here
All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks. Click here for more information
Due to current restrictions for COVID-19 it is likely that our process in dealing with your application will be delayed, however please note that we are continuing to conduct our interviews on-line.
For successful candidates we except there may be delays with start dates to ensure that we can safely on-board each new employee.
We will contact you to let you know whether your application has been affected and inform you of any further changes within the recruitment process.