Job Description: Oracle Architect
About the role:
The Oracle Architect role partners with corporate functions of Supply Chain, Manufacturing, HR, Finance and Procurement. In a truly global business with plans to double in size by 2022, this requires you to be agile, audacious, and dedicated to ensuring we’ve the right Oracle Cloud architecture and capability in our teams to help our customers achieve their research missions, faster.
- Develop solution designs in accordance with the key Architecture Principles of Abcam. Solutions are developed against business requirements and where gaps are identified, the architect will clarify requirements and determine the best outcome based solution.
- Develop key artefacts that underpin and support Abcam’s key Architecture Principles; these will be in the form of solution designs and standards.
- Works towards making key decisions and logs and manages Key Design Decisions at both project and enterprise level.
- Peer reviews the designs and solutions of his/her peers and provides relevant constructive feedback as necessary.
- Supports his/her peers and drives for delivering solutions that reduce/manage risk and deliver value for Abcam as a business.
- Participate in the Design Authority either as a key core member or a delegate of the Director of Architecture to ensure that relevant designs meet with the IT Strategy and underpin Abcam business goals.
- Identify and manage Abcam risks relevant to the architecture.
- Develop expertise in an agreed key domain for Abcam.
- To share and disseminate knowledge to team members.
- Develop strong collaborative relationship with the team and key business stakeholders.
- Works with third party and partner personnel to develop strong solutions.
- Maintains Abcam’s standing in the industry by being a positive example of a professional architect.
- Champions the principle of secure by design and compliant by design in their work and encourages this amongst their peers.
- Provides guidance and educates on architecture to the business and projects; including but not limited to the architecture principles of Abcam.
- Provides support to testing and operations as necessary in accordance with the needs of Abcam.
- Responsible for the overall quality of a solution or their owned domain.
- Be expected to input into the development of an IT Strategy and Architecture Roadmaps.
- Champions the architecture roadmaps.
Key Performance Indicators and Deliverables:
Responsible to line manager for:
Design authority and establishing a wider architecture community in the abcam enterprise
Continually seeking to improve current services and capabilities
Works extensively with partners and Oracle to develop product strategies for the betterment of abcam
Develops an enterprise application reference architecture aligned to the business capability mode
Responsible to internal client for:
Works with business architecture to build a holistic picture of the abcam enterprise environment
Collaborates and manages expectations with internal clients on Oracle
Main Interfaces and customers (internal/external)
Internal client group:
Run Partner(s) currently IBM
About you - Competencies, Skills, Knowledge:
Strong influencing skills, with the courage to coach and feedback to senior leaders.
Working knowledge of Oracle Cloud solutions
Broad knowledge of Supply Chain, Manufacturing and Oracle Fusion
Strong bias for action and a “solution orientated” attitude
Fluent written and spoken English
Able to work both on a team (as member and/or leader) and independently to deliver results
Ability to convey ideas and recommendations in a clear, compelling and succinct way in written and verbal communications
Good attention to detail and an ability to analyse and use data in decision making.
Strong organizational and multitasking skills with ability to balance competing priorities
Experience identifying, diagnosing and resolving issues independently; will take initiative even under unfamiliar or ambiguous circumstances
Anticipates need to re-prioritize; can shift gears and comfortably makes decisions based on new information
Bachelor’s or First degree in ICT related discipline, Business or other related field
TOGAF qualified or equivalent is an advantage
Extensive experience providing professional counsel and detailed advice in pressurised environment
Demonstrated experience and success in helping managers align planning and business strategy
Understands complexity of an enterprise environment in a global setting with extensive demonstrable experience of successful Oracle Cloud (Fusion, SCM and Manufacturing) design and delivery
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (which includes shares for eligible employees), a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth.