|Location:||Tyne and Wear|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Are you a strong and effective people manager with current operational mainline train driving competence who is looking for an exciting opportunity with an innovative new open access train company?
Who We Are:
We are very different to a traditional Train Operating Company. We are East Coast Trains Limited (ECTL), a brand-new open access train company who will provide regular, cost effective 100% electric train travel between London and Edinburgh as an alternative to flying that is cost effective, kinder to the environment and just as time effective as taking a domestic flight.
At ECTL we value diversity. We are a progressive and inclusive one family employer First time, every time. We value differences such as age, gender, LGBTQ+, ethnicity, religion, and disability. All our colleagues have a voice and are supported to be themselves at work.
As a Customer Driver Standards Manager, you will be a key member of the ECTL senior team assisting us launch our new, exciting and ground-breaking service which will run between Kings Cross and Edinburgh starting in October 2021. We are looking for someone who comes with a wealth of exciting and innovative ideas to enable us to be a transformational open access operator!
In this role you will:
- Safely and inclusively lead a team of Customer Drivers and Customer Driver Instructors in line with ECTL behaviours and be directly responsible for all aspects of effective people management including welfare, conduct, attendance and performance.
- Deliver ECTL's competence management systems for safety critical operational colleagues, focusing primarily on Customer Drivers and Customer Driver Instructors.
- Assess and develop operational competence getting the most out of your team, particularly train driving performance and excellent customer experience to deliver improvements in line with company and industry requirements
- Work hard ensuring we maintain high colleague engagement levels developing your team into true professionals who are committed to delivering their best.
- Have a tight grasp of individual performance levels, managing problems as soon as they arise, whilst equally recognising consistency and discretionary
- incident/accident investigations and due diligence checks
- Safety briefings
- On call commitment alongside your colleagues as necessary
As a minimum you'll need to have:
- Mainline Train Driver competence
- Excellent knowledge of Railway operations and standards
- Good Microsoft Office skills
- Assessor Qualification A1 or equivalent certification would be an advantage, although training in this area can be provided
As well as a competitive salary you will be working in a great team environment and receive comprehensive training. Along with all ECTL colleagues you will enjoy a range of benefits including a defined contribution pension scheme, free rail travel across the ECTL network for you and your dependent when we are up and running, discounted rail travel across the rest of the UK and Europe (subject to RDG eligibility and T+C's) and access to FirstGroup's ‘Firstmyrewards' which will give you access to a wide range of benefits, from reduced price tickets on our UK bus and rail services, and discounts on shopping, cinemas, holidays and eating out and share in the success of the Company through our all employee share schemes.
Is this the job for you?
This is no job for a beginner; Naturally, you'll be a people person, professional and confident, skilled at developing great relationships who is enthused by what you had read above. You will have what it takes to inspire and influence with new and innovative ideas. You will be passionate about maintaining high standards, with safety at the heart of everything you do, challenging appropriately and leading change with consideration and diplomacy. You will naturally be a person who works from a job description/role profile, not to it. This is an exciting role and the experience and reward you will receive in return will be worth it. We want you to come to us with a sense of adventure and be part of our new and exciting business where we will lead the railway into a new digital chapter!