|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Telegraph is looking for a senior data journalist to lead the creation of original, high-quality data journalism across all platforms, producing immersive, award-winning visualisations and interactives for the News Website of The Year.
You'll have a proven ability for finding the story in complex datasets and engaging readers in imaginative ways. You'll work with other journalists, developers and designers to produce first class journalism and tools, for both daily news stories and longer term ambitious projects.
- Conceive and steer innovative data journalism projects that help tell complicated stories for new and core Telegraph audiences. They should drive acquisition and retention of audience, engagement, and enhance our digital reputation.
- Collaborate with other journalists, research and write data-driven stories/ projects for use in print and on The Telegraph’s digital platforms.
- Pick up commissions from the head of digital journalism, then brief developers, designers and data journalists on their deliverables. Manage the project through to delivery, with regular progress meetings and sign off from the head of digital journalism.
- Be a key voice at news conference and through internal training programmes to ensure the right data-driven stories are done in the best way.
- Oversee commissioning of data visualisations or embeds, ensuring a focussed output that prioritises quality over quantity, as well as creating excellent one-off interactives
- Develop longer-term plans and templates for specific events like coronavirus coverage, elections, sports/business/news/personal finance coverage, paywalled league tables, and develop new data-driven editorial products.
- Represent The Telegraph at internal and external events to establish The Telegraph as a market leader in data journalism and innovative digital storytelling.
- Facilitate the development of junior colleagues in data analysis and visualisation skills, and manage junior members of the data journalism team.
- Experience managing successful data-driven projects from commission to delivery, including collaborating with diverse teams of journalists, designers and developers.
- A portfolio of industry-leading work using data and statistics, including data-led stories and interactives.
- Experience of project management and seeing long-term projects through to fruition.
- Skilled in graphic design, comfortable with industry-leading tools in cartography and visualisation (e.g. QGis and Adobe Illustrator).
- Experience of writing scrapers and using statistical software (e.g. R) for data analysis and cleaning.
- Understanding of how to assemble and lead a team of people on a particular project to get the best results.
- Able to work accurately at speed and under pressure in a live environment.
- The Telegraph supports flexible working, per your line manager’s agreement.
- A range of excellent core benefits including 6 months maternity/paternity leave
- A range of additional benefits including on-site gym, massages, and more
- In-role development and access to formal development.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.