|Job Type:||Full Time|
As we expand into new Geographies in EMEA we are seeking an individual with the ability to self-direct and who has a strong background in Data Center Construction, with an emphasis on either CSA construction experience or MEP design background together with design and build contract strategies. The SCPM will be responsible for project level execution under the direction of the Regional Construction lead of the EMEA Rapid Deployment Data Center (RDD) program and will require strong interpersonal and organizational skills, strong business acumen and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment across multiple projects and GEOs.
The SCPM will be a leader in the adoption and delivery of MSFTs Health and Safety, Quality and Ethical standards in these new regions. In support of our Design, Commissioning and Integration and Technical Infrastructure Manager (ITIM) teams on site SCPM will lead the execution of our builds and fit outs on both leased colocation and self-build Greenfield campuses.
This is an office based and onsite Construction PM role with regional responsibilities with travel required to our colocation and self-build sites in EMEA, and periodic travel to our other project locations as required to support the wider Region.
Key competencies and responsibilities of the DCP SCPM will be:
- Act in capacity of Employer’s Representative and be responsible for the delivery of EMEA RDD projects in new GEO locations in mainland Europe and MEA, consisting of core & shell and tenant improvements for a single Data Centre project or multiple projects as may be assigned to them.
- In cooperation with the Regional Construction Lead this position aligns region and metro wide delivery strategies to local team objectives, business processes, vendor management strategies, and cross-group collaboration efforts.
- The successful candidate will be a relentless advocate for managing a safe worksite , supporting the implementation of the Microsoft High Risk Activity (HRA) program and work with our Construction PM and General Contractor groups to deliver trade collaboration methods to improve safe working and co-ordination of the construction sites.
- The role is responsible for coordinating internal Microsoft scope and resource efforts, requirements, and schedules with those of the General Contractor, Lessors, Owned Vendors and Suppliers.
- Apply influence, strategies and negotiation skills to identify options and recommend solutions for Lessor selection and Campus construction strategies.
- Have the ability and be agnostic to take on project execution where required to support the teams workload.
- The DC SCPM will also collaborate with Microsoft Security (OSSC), Microsoft IT (MSIT), Legal, Project Engineering, MS Business Risk Management, and other internal groups to maintain the corporate vision and goals for the metro/Project.
- This position will be responsible for coordinating and reviewing vendor performance relative to cash flow and budget summaries with Microsoft Project Controls and a lean Cost Management (CM) vendor support function, clarifying those reports in presentations to the delivery and executive chain on a cadence set by the leadership team. Other responsibilities include oversight and collaboration with project controls to generate new project Project Expenditure Request (PERs), Professional Services Request (PSRs), Change Orders, Pay Applications, etc.
- Apply ‘growth-mindset’ philosophy to the day to day tasks and ensure that any deficiencies identified within the processes/framework are addressed and improvements are implemented.
- Be strategically focused, collaborate and identify opportunities and execution strategies to improve Time To Market in new and existing GEOs.
- Identify and manage vendor and Full Time Employee resource needs in region. Hire, on-board, manage and develop diverse talent across the Region in line with demand and workload needs.
- Identification and documentation of sub-regional safety, working hour, regulatory or compliance issues that may impact the execution of the above, and ensuring this is factored into our planning
- Create and/or maintain best practices to identify and incorporate cost-effective solutions in line with evolving Div 1 specification requirements and report on KPIs for the same.
- Manage the selection, contracting, and integration of multiple vendors and internal partners
- Drive deployment of solutions that can be socialized globally across DCP projects.
- Facilitate client/sponsor decision-making to drive solutions, schedules, and manage change as required.
- Apply influence, strategies and negotiation skills to identify options and recommend solutions.
- Regularly review cost and KPI metrics, invoices, process/policy communications to client partners.
- Provide project single point of contact for project development and delivery.
- Coordinate meetings and activities of vendors, cost managers, and integration of lessons learned.
- Attend scheduled owner/architect/contractor (OAC) and other project meetings, and report as necessary
- Report Project Progress on scope, schedule, and budget as required
- Provide weekly project status reporting to DCP standards.
- Challenge and remove barriers by working with others around a shared need or customer benefit.
- Ability to maintain a broader perspective, identify and evaluate opportunities to enhance the business through cross-group collaboration.
- Incorporate diverse perspectives to thoroughly address complex business issues.
- Responsible for developing, managing, and reporting on scope, schedule, and budget.
- Direct fiscal responsibility for the approved project budget.
- Work independently in support of the DCP Project.
Vendor Management and contract compliance:
- Provide Vendor oversight and performance management.
- Preparation of Request for Proposal (RFP’s), PER’s, and other project approval tools & templates.
- Review and approval of vendor scope of work and design review of site and building plans.
- Validate vendor pay-application and invoice review and approval in line with milestone payment schedules.
- Manage compliance with prior audit results and recommendations.
Candidates should have the following skills/experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or Equivalent in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, Construction Project Management, or Construction Management.
- 8+ years’ experience in data center project construction with large-scale data centers or DC lease providers.
- Must have Client or Contractor based onsite Datacentre construction or management experience.
- Self-starter with demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, projects, and deadlines simultaneously.
- Experience managing large scale enterprise projects with both localized and virtual teams.
- Cross-group collaborator and influencer across teams and organizations with proven success in participating in cross-functional teams to deliver on key projects.
- Must be able to work within a dynamic team of full-time employees and consultants.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.