|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft Cloud Operations + Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers Microsoft's cloud services and our team is focused on delivering high quality infrastructure to support cloud operations.
As Microsoft’s Cloud business continues to mature, the acquisition and development of our owned, designed and constructed Data Center facilities will scale to meet the demands of our customers. Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO+I) will be developing and executing strategies to deliver owned and developed sites alongside our leasing team, to scale our business into the future.
Real Estate Acquisition Manager
Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO+I) is the team behind the Microsoft Cloud. CO+I is responsible for delivering all Data Center Infrastructure to support our platform and deliver for our customers demand. Our focus is on smart growth, directing strategic scaling through high quality, cost effective and innovative solutions to meet demand and to reduce cost and impact of our overall delivery. We are looking for a passionate, high energy individual to help build the infrastructure that powers Microsoft’s online services.
The Land Development Organization is responsible for the delivery and pre-positioning of Data Center real estate needed to build out Microsoft’s cloud infrastructure. The types of projects include land acquisition and pre-development, Build to Suit lease development and working on the development of incentives for those projects. The Real Estate Acquisition Manager will be the subject matter expert and will provide guidance into the regional strategy and ultimate execution to deliver in global regions. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to make a significant contribution and impact to one of the largest data center portfolios.
The Real Estate Acquisitions Manager is part of a team of real estate experts and development managers. He or she will be responsible for performing deep dive market research on new locations and sites, developing strategic acquisition opportunities, making executive proposals on regional strategies and new site acquisitions, and constructing and negotiating complex acquisition agreements. He or she will have the capability to develop a wide range of options including direct land acquisition, Build to Suit leases, and building retrofits to deliver the ideal solution for the business. This role will work hand in hand with our leasing acquisition team, and may also get involved in leasing Data Center space from time to time, should the regional strategy require. The Acquisition Manager will work closely with a variety of key stakeholders, global teams, and related leaders including but not limited to energy, engineering, operations, network, legal, tax, construction, project management, design, cost estimating, procurement, planning, and finance.
In order to be successful, you must have a strong background in Real Estate acquisition and development in EMEA, be able to work in a dynamic and global organization, and have a strong desire to continuously learn and innovate. In particular, we will expect you to:
1. Have a specific knowledge of Data Center or similar commercial/mission critical site selection background ideally to include zoning, utilities, networks, entitlements and land use, site feasibility and due diligence studies, risk management, security considerations, etc.
2. Have a strong track record of Real Estate and incentive development and an extensive network in real estate, government affairs, review boards, developers, and capital market groups.
3. Possess strong negotiations skills that have resulted in financial, business and legal benefits
4. Be able to construct and negotiate complex leasing, acquisition, and/or incentive contracts
5. Have working knowledge and experience with a broad variety of construction means and methods
6. Have the strategic vision and executive presence to represent Microsoft to government entities, economic development agencies, and new business allies and be able to represent your vision for the region to Microsoft executives
7. Be able to develop and document comprehensive business cases, deal summaries, and executive presentations
8. Be fluent in business English (additional regional languages are a plus)
9. Work well within a fast-paced organization who is a self-starter, process-minded, and collaborative.
10. Work efficiently and confidentially across multiple markets simultaneously.
Candidates must have:
1. Strong negotiations skills from both a Business and Legal terms standpoint
2. Ability to develop and review financial models to understand specific development pro-forma and valuation components.
3. Willingness and ability to consistently dive deep into market analysis, deal negotiation and strategic planning in assigned regions.
4. Direct experience in Land Acquisition and Development in EMEA
5. Strong knowledge of core Microsoft products (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, SharePoint, Teams)
6. 10 years of relevant work experience
Ideally will have:
7. Knowledge of Economic Incentive Packages and experience negotiating the same
8. Experience in reviewing construction bidding packages and experience working through zoning and permitting in multiple markets.
9. A good understanding of local cultures and business factors related to planning and permitting in EMEA
10. Direct Data Center knowledge
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.