BAE Systems Submarines is on course to deliver a peak demand in its products and services at our ship yard site in Barrow-in-Furness. This has created a unique opportunity in the business for a number people to be trained in one of the businesses key resources.
These are critical positions within the organisation, requiring dedicated and motivated people with a thirst to learn. As a direct entrant to the business your ability to learn on the job will be a crucial element in your success as will your ability to adapt and evolve to your changing surroundings.
Successful candidates can expect a high operational tempo and excellent opportunities for advancement within the country's largest defence contractor BAE Systems. If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding career in Project Management & Project Controls this might be just the opportunity for you?
This is an exciting time to come and join the team at BAE Systems, as you will be directly supporting the on time to cost delivery of our nations multi-billion-pound submarine programme.
You will be based on a shipyard which is undergoing a large-scale redevelopment project; BAE Systems is the only manufacturer of Submarines within the UK, providing you with a unique opportunity to work within a company which has interesting and complex products and services.
Your main responsibilities as a Project Co-ordinator will involve:
- Process project-related documents and data in accordance with procedures and produce output reports, typically to pre-defined formats and within regular business cycles.
- Collect, collate, summarise and input information or data, carry out pre-defined analyses, and provide to others for use in decision-making.
- Provide assistance to ensuring that project-related records in assigned areas are complete, accurate and up-to-date.
- Assist in monitoring project progress and identify emerging issues and trend.
- Handle straightforward problems or situations and refer more difficult or non-standard issues to roles at higher levels, ensuring resolution as quickly as possible.
- Prioritise own workload in order to meet deadlines without compromising quality standards, and check own work for accuracy and completeness.
- Use computerised systems to collect, summarise, analyse, input or extract data, maintaining own capabilities in use of software or programs, and ensure data is safely recorded and stored.
- Document and record management.
- To be able to access, have a clear understanding of and apply the Quality and HS&E Management System documentation e.g. Process Instructions, Workmanship Standards, Risk Assessments etc. applicable to your particular work scope and to obey all HS&E rules and control measures.
Your skills and qualifications:
Excellent IT Skills, particularly with MS Office/MS Project Packages
Strong Excel skill set
Previous experience within a Project Management Related Role or Minimum 2:1 Degree qualification in either Engineering or Business related Subject
What we are looking for in you:
You will need to build relationships with a variety of stakeholders across the business to be successful in this role, so strong communication skills are essential. You should also be able to demonstrate a keen ability to problem solve and possess a tenacious and positive attitude. We encourage individuals that show a growth mind-set and take responsibility for achieving their personal goals to apply as this opportunity will provide you with a brilliant career.
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world’s leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
Maritime – Submarines
Our Submarines business has been safely delivering world class submarines to the UK Royal Navy for more than a century.
The Astute class will equip the Royal Navy with its largest and most capable generation of attack submarines. We are responsible for the design, build, test and commissioning of these state-of-the-art vessels. In total, seven boats will make up the fleet, each weighing a mighty 7,400 tonnes.
Dreadnought is the successor to the Vanguard class of nuclear deterrent submarines. We will deliver four submarines to the Royal Navy, with the first submarine entering service in the early 2030s. Dreadnought is widely considered to be one of the world's most complex engineering challenges.
We have sites in Barrow-in-Furness, Filton, Frimley, Ash Vale, Broad Oak and Weymouth, and we pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of.
We recognise that an inclusive and diverse workplace – where all employees feel respected, valued and able to achieve their full potential – is vitally important. Not only does it inspire creativity and collaboration, it’s good for business. We celebrate our differences and believe our diverse skills, abilities and perspectives strengthen our culture and our overall performance.
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified people.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role with BAE Systems.