|Job Type:||Full Time|
Department NameNorth West & Central Region
About Network Rail
Network Rail Route Businesses E&W plans, operates and maintains the railway day-to-day.
North West & Central (NW&C) is the 'Backbone of Britain' - the economic spine connecting our main cities. Our infrastructure runs from London Euston and Marylebone in the South through the Chiltern and West Midlands regions, the North West of England and Cumbria before joining with Scotland at Gretna. We are home to the West Coast Mainline, the busiest mixed-use railway in Europe, serving London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
NW&C's vision for the five years to 2024 is "One team safely delivering excellent services to customers and taxpayers." We will achieve this vision by embedding a safe, caring workforce culture that welcomes everyone and embraces new ideas and fresh thinking. By becoming a more open, diverse and inclusive organisation we can deliver a safe, accessible railway for everyone. We're working hard to ensure our workforce better represents our customers and society as a whole.
As well as keeping the network running safely day to day, we are also focused on the need to build a bigger, better railway capable of transporting more people and produce in future. Major railway upgrade schemes on LNW include HS2, East West Rail and the Great North Rail Project. Between 2019 and 2024 we also have a £5.3bn plan for vital maintenance, asset renewals and operations.
Network Rail is building a better railway for a better Britain. We are looking for talented people from all backgrounds to join our journey and move us forward by having a rewarding career, the right lifestyle balance and great benefits in a caring environment. We value the commitments you may have outside of work and will consider flexible working applications. If we can make it work - we will!
You will perform structural examination work, maximising efficiency and effectiveness and ensure compliance with all relevant standards. All duties must be delivered safely and in accordance with the requirements of the client.
This is a 12 month Fixed Term Contract with a view to go permanent.
About the role (External)
This role consists of various tasks including:
- Carrying out site examination of structures to determine the structural condition as allocated within the Alarm system and within defined timescales
- Carrying out specified site examinations using roped access, if qualified
- Compiling and submitting condition reports using the Alarm electronic system or other agreed process and submit for reviewing by the Examining Engineers team
- Performing special examinations as directed including assistance with monitoring schemes for sensitive structures
- Undertaking reconnaissance visits
- Providing assistance with specialist examinations undertaken by the Examining Engineers team, including unique structures and tunnel examinations
- Undertaking all on-call duties in support of rapid response, including bridge strike
- Assisting in the provision of safety critical site support duties as required
- Co-operating with quality, safety and environmental objectives and contribute, where appropriate, to continual improvement initiatives
- Making observations and technically based decisions within sphere of competence for the role
- Offering recommendations for consideration by Examining Engineers team
- Making decisions and taking action on site in respect of immediate safety issues, imminent structural failure and operational capabilities of structures following bridge strikes, at times under pressure
- Having a direct impact on performance through delivery of completed examination reports
- GCSE pass in English Language
- C&G/ NVC Level 3 in any building construction trade (additional relevant experience may be considered in lieu on an individual basis)
- STE 4/ SCMI competent
- Individual Working Alone
- Bridge Strike Examiner
- IT Literate with minimum word processing and drawing application
- Full driving licence
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Work alone with minimum supervision
- ONC/HNC level qualification / Technician Engineer (ICE)
- Previous experience in the rail industry and knowledge of railway practice
- Controller of Site Safety/ Engineering Supervisor
- Confined Space Awareness/Training
How to apply (External)
Salary: Circa £25,000
Closing date: 8th April 2020 Late applications will not be accepted.
Click 'apply now' to apply.
This is a fixed term opportunity ending on 20/04/2021 and has the potential to become permanent.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Click here for more information
Want to find out about what benefits we offer? click here
All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks. Click here for more information