|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft’s European Corporate External and Legal Affairs department (CELA) has an immediate opening for an experienced attorney to join their European Compliance team. The attorney will assist in Microsoft’s continuing commitment to comply with laws, regulations and policies governing its business, finance, and accounting activities in Europe with a focus on Central and Eastern European markets. As part of CELA’s Global, Commercial, Field Group (GCFG) organization, the attorney will oversee and conduct internal investigations and provide legal advice on compliance issues and programs to the regional headquarters and multiple European subsidiaries through which Microsoft supports the sale and marketing of its products and services. Responsibilities also include serving as an advisor to various compliance committees, providing counseling and training to Microsoft employees, and working with internal stakeholders to mitigate compliance risk. Travel is required to complete certain investigations and engage with business clients and colleagues in Europe and Microsoft’s corporate headquarters in Redmond, Washington, USA.
The role can be located in any European city where Microsoft has a local office.
Specific responsibilities of the position include:
- Supervise and conduct sensitive internal investigations, including developing the plan of investigation, conducting subject and witness interviews, analyzing evidence, drafting investigation memoranda, and remediating issues identified.
- Work with business leadership, compliance committees and multi-disciplinary teams including in HR, Finance, CELA and other stakeholders to analyze compliance and related legal risks, resolve issues, and implement overall business strategy;
- Manage complex projects and communications across diverse stakeholders.
We are looking for someone with:
- Strong commitment to and reputation for integrity; ability to exercise independent judgment and decision-making.
- Excellent interpersonal, collaboration, communication, and interviewing skills.
- Outstanding analytical and writing ability.
- A firm understanding of relevant laws and regulations applicable to U.S. companies, including the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), as well as an appreciation of pertinent accounting and finance principles.
- Ability to work efficiently and independently, prioritize workflow and adjust to frequent workload fluctuations.
- Ability to apply sound, principled, and consistent judgment in a fast-moving and challenging legal and business environment.
- Ability to analyze complex financial, business, and legal issues and communicate them in a clear and concise fashion.
- Prior experience working across diverse cultures and managing and building strong client relationships.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- A J.D. or equivalent law degree.
- 10+ years of work experience in a government agency, international law firm, or in-house legal department.
- Strong experience in dealing with compliance and/or internal investigations in or on behalf of a multi-national company or other large complex organization.
- Excellent written and spoken English. Additional European languages and experience in dealing with diverse cultures preferred.
- Willingness to travel as required.
This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee within this position. The actual duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may vary based on assignment or group. Microsoft is an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports workforce diversity.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.