Senior / Principal Systems Engineer
Would you like to play a key role in the design and development of electronic systems? If so, we are looking for experienced and talented systems engineers to join us to support the development of a wide range of state-of-the-art products.
As part of one of the world's leading defence, security and aerospace companies, you will be part of the development and supply of products across a diverse mix of commercial and military platforms; Head Up and Head Worn Displays, Safety Critical Pilot Control and Flight Control Systems for military and civil aircraft. You will be involved in all phases of the lifecycle from concept design, development, integration and testing through to formal release to the customer.
We encourage our Systems Engineers to gain a breadth of knowledge across these product domains and also develop to become subject matter experts in one or more product domain, or systems engineering specialism.
As an experienced Systems Engineer your main responsibilities will involve:
- Understanding our customers’ challenging needs and developing, validating and managing requirements
- Developing complex system architectures and sub-systems
- Integrating systems containing electronic, mechanical, optical and software sub-systems.
- Verifying that customer needs are satisfied
- Taking accountability for technical work packages
- Providing guidance and coaching to other engineers
- Steering new systems development through implementation of best practice systems lifecycle processes
As an experienced Systems Engineer your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- Proven experience in systems engineers activities in relevant product markets
- Proven experience in requirements and design analysis, modelling and simulation, using tools such as DOORS and Simulink and design methodologies such as SysML
- Proven experience in safety-related systems and safety assessment processes with an understanding of how these processes influence the design
- Significant customer liaison experience for technical issues
- Ability to work with no guidance and make sound strategic decisions
- Practical experience in estimating, planning and tracking engineering activities
- Ability to perform design review assessments and technically guide the work of others
- Detailed electronic engineering experience is highly desirable. Exposure to other engineering disciplines (design, manufacture, etc.) is also desirable.
- A degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant Scientific/Engineering subject (e.g. Systems Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Physics or Mathematics)
We are looking for people who:
- Can operate effectively as part of a larger team, demonstrating excellent communication skills
- Can reliably estimate and plan their own work, understanding budget and schedule constraints, and accurately report progress
- Can actively support other team members or other teams and are able to provide constructive feedback
- Are proactive in looking for improvement opportunities
- Are able to context switch and prioritise work
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world’s leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States and the United Kingdom.
We pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of. You’ll have the opportunity to work from concept to completion, giving you real ownership of projects. Whatever you do, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you're making a difference to people's lives.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role with BAE Systems.