Are you an Infrastructure, Support or Deployment Engineer looking for that next move?Do you already develop scripts or programmes and want this to become more of you day-to-day work activity.Do you have a good understanding of networks, but would love to learn more?
We are looking for an ambitious individual that enjoys developing software and has a passion for network engineering.Don’t worry if you don’t have any formal qualifications, whilst it would be great if you are working towards or already have these, we are more interested in what you can achieve (with some training of course).You will be joining a small team, of technology professionals who strive to find the best possible solution to a wide range of challenges and problems.
Whilst there are the BAU jobs to do each week, every day will be different as will the type of work that you will be doing.One day could see you called upon for your networking skills, with the following day find you supporting a demonstration, in real-time, of the ballistic missile defence capabilities of the Sampson radar in the Royal Navy's Formidable Shield exercise. – it really can be that varied!
Your skills and qualifications as a Systems Engineer:
- An ability to demonstrate experience in the development of software (using one or more of the following:C#, Ada, C, C++ or scripted in Java, PHP, Ruby, Perl or Python)
- An understanding of how to configure and setup Juniper or Cisco Firewalls
- Experience with configuring and installing client and server network software
- Knowledge of Local Area Networking (LAN) and/or Wide Area Networking (WAN) technologies
- An understanding of the technology behind a switched architecture and its workings (DNS, DHCP, Security, IP Switching/Routing, HTTP, VPN, etc.)
- Current Juniper JNCIA, JNCIS, JNCIP or CCNA/CCNP and/or CCDA certification – preferred, but not essential
- Experience of working with Switches, Routers, Hubs, Servers, Cables (Cat 5-6), Fibre Optics, Racks LAN, WAN, TCP/IP (Ethernet)
- Network Management & Monitoring Systems.
A good knowledge of all phases of the software lifecycle but with particular experience in Integration & Acceptance and ideally knowledge in one or more of the following:
- Windows Server experience
- Other operating systems including VMware ESXi Server 4/5, Linux (SUSE /RedHat).
- Working knowledge of various VMware tools.
- Working knowledge of SAN Technologies.
What we're looking for in you:
- Diplomacy and ability to develop effective partnerships with a variety of stakeholders;
- Able to respond to rapidly changing circumstances, keep key goals and objectives prioritised;
- Able to teach others (specifically the provision of training in the use of the toolset to other integration engineers);
- Be proactive and adopt a professional approach to dealing with the customer community and colleagues both within the business and across a joint/collaborative team
Your main responsibilities as an Systems Engineer will involve:
General Combat System Integration Tools:
1.Day-to-day maintenance and configuration management of the integration tools deployed across the various integration projects;
2.Enhancement of the integration toolset
3.Development and certification of new tools/utilities;
4.SME support to the customer;
5.Direct support to the combat systems integration teams, focusing on data recording and analysis.
6.Implementation of synthetic environment interface devices or ‘glueware’, enabling the Synthetic Environment to interface to new and existing Combat System Equipments.
Location: Portsmouth – Portsdown Technology Park (PO6 3RU)
Salary: £28,750 to £33,850 - possibly more for the right individual.
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world’s leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries
We design, develop, integrate and provide through-life support to naval combat systems that enable navies to protect nations. Vital information from ship sensors such as radar and sonar, are captured through our core product, the Combat Management System. This advanced technological capability allows ships crews to rapidly respond to potentially life threatening situations.
In using this cutting-edge technology, we are at the forefront of defence system integration. Our products feature across the Royal Navy’s surface fleet aboard Type 23 frigates, Type 45 destroyers and Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers. The new Type 26 Global Combat Ships, under construction by BAE Systems in Glasgow, will also use the next generation of our combat systems.
We pride ourselves on being the combat systems integrator of choice, not only integrating our own products, but those of other defence companies too in delivering combat systems for both the Royal Navy and international customers.
We offer significant opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop with us. The health and well-being of our employees matters to us and that’s why we offer the flexibility for you to do what’s important to you, whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or simply the ability to flex your start and stop times. Where practical, we’ll support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your full potential.
Attracting and retaining the sharpest minds is essential for a globally competitive UK naval engineering business. BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer and our aim is to recruit the very best talent and we welcome applications from a diverse range of people, from all backgrounds, with many different skills, experience and perspectives. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions.These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role with BAE Systems.