|Job Type:||Full Time|
Department NameOS Head of Communications Scotland (110511) G3
About Network Rail
At Network Rail we are dedicated to becoming one of Britain's best employers and believe this starts with placing the candidate at the heart of everything we do.
Our ambition to be responsive to passengers and freight customers, drives us every day and we're empowered to do the right thing for those who use the rail network. We actively challenge unsafe practices and take responsibility for addressing risks, resolving issues and protecting safety and wellbeing.
We're passionate about great service and we ask ourselves, what can we do to put our passengers and freight users at the centre of everything we do? With this in mind, we pull together as one industry because we care about people and teamwork is key. For more information about Network Rail click here.
Scotland's Railway covers a large geographical area from the Borders to Thurso at the far tip of the North East of Scotland, accounting for almost 20 per cent of Britain's rail network. We provide rapid access along busy commuter routes to our seven cities, servicing the varied needs of our commuter, business and leisure customers, including cross border and rural services. We support up to 50 freight services running every day and we are building capacity for more freight to be carried on Scotland's Railway.
Scotland's Railway communications team is adapting to meet the changing needs of our passengers and freight customers, and the demands of a bigger, more devolved regional structure, which includes investing billions in infrastructure enhancements and renewal of the railway network. Three new strategic leadership roles have been created to cover the areas of project communication, internal communication, and media and public affairs, to serve our customers, stakeholders, partners, lineside neighbours and employees.
As Head of Project Communications (Scotland) you will provide strategic leadership for the development and delivery of a communication plan for Scotland's Railway's portfolio of infrastructure works that is consistent and aligns with Scotland's Railway's broader external communications strategy. You will have the ability to demonstrate the link between our multi-billion-pound investment in improvement projects and tangible benefits for passengers and freight customers.
About the role (External)
1. Develop and deliver a strategic communications plan for Scotland's Railway's portfolio of infrastructure projects that is consistent and compliant with the broader external communications strategy and actively improves relationships with passengers, freight, stakeholders and lineside neighbours.
2. Lead and manage all project communication activities, fully co-ordinating and integrating them with wider organisation strategies and activities, to deliver objectives aligned to the project pipeline.
3. Create and deliver consistent and co-ordinated communications plans for the project's portfolio, providing appropriate support and information to communities, businesses and services impacted by project delivery.
4. Devise passenger benefit messages for stakeholder activity, with clear demonstration of how our projects will enhance the network's capability, capacity and resilience and improve passenger and freight experience.
5. Build effective internal and external working relationships with key stakeholders and funders, that will have an interest in, and impact upon, Scotland's Railway.
6. Lead on collaboration between project delivery teams and communications to fully map and understand project activity and allocate appropriate communication resource.
7. Manage any local issues arising from the implementation of the communications plan so that relevant teams are aware of such issues.
8. Lead on collaboration with ScotRail and other train and freight operators for a consistent approach to Scotland's Railway communications
9. Undertake on-call media duties (including bank holiday and weekends) on a rota basis.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Substantial experience in public affairs and engagement with communities
- High standards of written and spoken communication
- The experience and personal credibility to work effectively with senior managers and other key stakeholders
- Strong influencing skills
- Proven ability to grasp, understand and promote complex and sensitive issues in a persuasive and sensible way
- Ability to develop and maintain a wide network of stakeholder contacts
- Evidence of proven leadership and team management skills
- Evidence of good planning and financial skills, with the ability to deliver projects/campaigns and activities on time and within budget
- Experience of directing campaigns and managing agency support
- A proven understanding of all relevant political calendars and legislative assemblies
- A detailed knowledge of developing comprehensive multi-disciplinary communications strategies and the delivery of those strategies
- Educated to degree level
- Relevant professional qualifications
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Experience of managing complex projects in a communications context
- A proven track record of interpreting business change to support communication
How to apply (External)
Salary: Band 2B - Salary £65,480 - £73,665
Closing date: 30th March 2020. Late applications will not be accepted.
Click 'apply now' to apply.
Please clearly show in your application how your skills and experience match the requirements of this role.
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do. Safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail. You should demonstrate your personal dedication to safety on your application.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Click here for more information
Want to find out about what benefits we offer? click here
All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks. Click here for more information
We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes.