|Job Type:||Full Time|
Our Special Services team are recruiting for a Senior Engineer to join the team in Croydon and become an instrumental influence on guiding projects, delivering technical solutions to unique issues and team management.
Special Services work alongside colleagues who are designing a number of structures such as bridges, tunnels, residential and commercial properties, sports centres, highways, railways, airports - the list goes on. Projects arise from a number of sources and when an issue might arise on a current project with the design, construction or materials, our team are called in for their technical subject-matter expertise.
We work on a wide range of projects from concept stage through the whole life of a structure including design, construction, asset life management, remedial works and demolition. We also look at existing civil structural assets that are showing signs of deterioration or distress to understand their current conditions and capacity and to identify what remedial measures are required. Such projects involve inspections, monitoring, analysis and assessment and design of repairs. Our analytical work is often very complex including non-linear finite element advanced analysis and dynamics.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Guiding and overseeing the project/ technical area/ team (structural, materials and civil engineers) and ensuring deliverables meet contracted obligations
- Structural calculations and analysis using tools such as LUSAS, STADPRO or similar
- Providing technical guidance/ input/ review for design, assessment and other technical aspects
- Acting as project manager for bid documentation and building up proposals
- Managing relationships with external and internal clients, consultants and contractors
- Preparing and implementing detailed project plans
- Monitoring project scoping, budgets, monthly operating plans and resource allocation
- Attending meetings with clients and contractors, representing the design team
- On site visits/ inspections/ investigations
- Assisting and guiding early career professionals within their career development
Does this sound like you?
You have a background in technical delivery within civil structural engineering and have experience working on projects with specialist skills such as advanced analysis & dynamics, noise & vibration, materials technology or civil asset management. You enjoy working in a highly technical environment to solve various problems and provide solutions for a range of structures including tunnels, bridges, buildings, highways, railways and materials e.g. concrete, steel, timber and masonry. You have strong report writing skills and are capable of sense checking calculations as well as contest solutions while working as the technical lead or team member. You've previously worked on multiple concurrent and multi-disciplinary commissions and have proven project management skills including project scoping, coordinating design activities, contractual and financial management. You're also comfortable representing Mott MacDonald to clients and working with a range of project stakeholders and contractors. In addition, you've previously managed small teams and have mentored or trained members of the wider engineering team.
You will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Degree in Civil Engineering (2.1 or above) or similar
- Chartered with a relevant professional institution (ICE, IStructE)
- Experience of site investigations and supervision including desk study reports
- Experience and understanding of quality, environmental and safety project requirements
Any knowledge of tools such as LUSAS, STADPRO or similar will be beneficial as would any additional qualifications such as a PhD, MSc, Meng or MA.
Who are Special Services?
Mott MacDonald is at the forefront of developing advanced structural analysis solutions, dynamic and vibration projects, materials technology studies, asset life management projects and undertaking specialist studies for a diversity of clients. Our expertise has been gained over many years by solving technically thought-provoking issues on projects such as the West Coast Mainline upgrade, Taiwan High Speed Rail, Heathrow tunnels, Crossrail, London Underground asset management and Thames Water structural investigations.
How to apply
If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application.
We offer a competitive benefits package including our flexible benefits scheme covering additional holidays, pension, healthcare, life assurance, cycle to work, season ticket loan and much more. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking.