|Job Type:||Full Time|
At Microsoft our mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. We consider our mission statement a commitment to our customers and each day we strive to achieve it. We work across geographies, with customers of all sizes, incredible partners, a talented team and with respect for diversity and the communities in which we operate.
Microsoft has become a corporate leader in environmental sustainability by constantly striving to minimize the environmental footprint of its business operations while maximizing the positive environmental impacts of its products, policies, and partnerships. As the environmental challenges facing the world grow, so too has Microsoft’s commitment to ensuring that the company’s activities are in-line with the best available science and the expectations of leading stakeholder communities.
We’re looking for someone who can take the UK business forward in broadly three areas:
Local action: Our UK stakeholders—employees, customers, consumers and others—expect us to be complementing the system-wide leadership we are taking, with local action to constantly improve our sustainability. This role will lead the work we take locally, acting as a partner to our Real Estate and Facilities team, supporting communications to employees and others about the local steps we are taking, and steering our path forward.
Customer engagement: Our customers have their own deep commitments to sustainability, and many have established science-based targets for their own action. Our technology can help them on this journey. This role will provide subject matter expertise to our own sales teams, supporting their engagement with customers, co-ordinating sales efforts through the lens of sustainability and driving a strategy that puts transforming technology in the hands of our customers.
Additional Projects: we expect a range of different projects associated with sustainability to run over future years. A good example is the work we need to do around COP26. As the date for COP26 draws ever nearer, Microsoft’s ecosystem of UK customers and partners have a one-off opportunity to demonstrate how their technology solutions contribute to tacking sustainability. This role will support these efforts and, working closely with the Comms team, ensure strong visibility. Future projects, announcements and campaigns will need the support and partnership and even leadership of this role.
- We’re looking at inspiring our employees and others around the actions we are taking locally, for these actions to be credible and to contribute to our overall carbon reduction plans
- We’re looking for great conversations with our customers, someone who can credibly represent Microsoft with the sustainability experts with our customers on these issues, as a voice of knowledge and authority
- This role will also be able to build and execute on a ‘go to market’ plan for our sellers, to help our customers to understand how smart use of Microsoft technology can help them to meet their own carbon commitments
- Design, through strong collaboration with others across the business locally and globally, our approach to driving incremental improvements in our local sustainability
- Build the UK strategy for customer engagement around sustainability
- Act as single point of contact for Microsoft UK’s support for COP26
- Act as a strong and credible subject matter expert both internally and externally on sustainability
- Drive programme of engagement with UK-based NGOs, charities and other influential organisations, in collaboration with our global sustainability team
- Localise globally-produced customer- and stakeholder-facing materials that support our sustainability narrative and co-ordinate the creation and sharing of locally-generated materials
- Public speaking on the topic of sustainability, principally with customers but also with other internal and external stakeholders
- Lead a local virtual team of sustainability champions across the business, providing support and expertise to scale our impact
- Act as Microsoft UK’s single point of contact for the global sustainability team, supporting their field enablement activities
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A proven track record of effectively partnering with a wide variety of stakeholder groups on environmental sustainability, ideally within or in support of a corporate context
- A strong ability to collaborate and communicate effectively, demonstrating excellent communication skills and attention to detail
- Credibility with external stakeholders (NGOs, campaigning groups, etc) for their involvement in sustainability issues
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.