Research Area Lead – Immunology
Abcam are a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, with a global reputation for high performance products with detailed technical specifications. As we continue our rapid growth and success, we now have a need for a new permanent role within our New Product Development (NPD) function, working closely with our product development and commercial teams to drive product quality and performance in our areas of focus across life science research.
We are looking to recruit a motivated scientist with comprehensive immunology expertise and experience in the development and validation of antibodies. This role will represent the ‘voice of the scientist’, working closely with our technical and commercial portfolio teams to develop new products in-house, and defining Abcam’s NPD strategy for our customers working within the field of immunology.
This is an important role that will contribute to technical evaluation and planning of our antibody generation projects, ensure the quality of products developed in our labs, and develop our technical capabilities to meet the needs of our customers now and in the future. This role will be part of the New Product Development (NPD) team and report into the Director of New Product Development Programmes.
The job is based at our Cambridge (UK) site, but the job holder will work closely across several teams in our global locations. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to steer and support the development of our products to aid researchers and scientists across the world to achieve their research missions, faster!
- Directly establish, manage and troubleshoot high value NPD projects to help drive the strategy and the quality of our portfolio.
- Develop and manage key product development collaborations and build a scientific network in the research communities we are serving.
- Set product quality and performance standards for our portfolio products (such as antibodies, ELISA kits, assay kits, proteins and cell lines), working collaboratively with our NPD project managers globally.
- Ensure appropriate development and validation methods are in place across our product development teams, and support development and optimization of new technologies.
- Be the organizational subject matter expert and a key individual within a cross-functional team establishing the product roadmap and strategy for Immunology. Provide scientific and technical expertise across the business within your specific areas of experience.
- Maintain knowledge of the research field, staying up to date on new developments, literature and methods. Attend meetings and conferences (some travel is required both international & national).
- Working with commercial strategy managers, develop the NPD strategy for our research areas of focus, making sure this is aligned to the needs of our customers.
- Support effective management and visibility of our product development pipeline and track progress against strategy, working closely with Project Managers, technical lab-based teams and commercial strategy teams.
- Our ideal candidate will have significant research experience in Life Sciences and a strong background in immunology and antibody development, with a PhD in immunology (or equivalent experience) and ideally with postdoctoral experience.
- Previous experience within a commercial setting and/or project management experience would be an advantage, as will previous experience working with academic collaborators. Whilst the role does not typically entail laboratory work, significant experience with antibodies and the capacity to interpret and analyse scientific data is essential.
- You will a strong technical skill set with hands on experience in using antibody validation techniques such as flow cytometry, western blotting, immunocytochemistry, immunohistochemistry and ELISA.
- This role is not a supervisory role however you will be required to show technical leadership within multiple teams. You will be highly organised, energetic, proactive, a strong team player and influencer. You must be comfortable working to deadlines and prioritising different aspects of your role. Additionally, you will be an effective communicator, comfortable building relationships within the team and across the business.
- Advanced knowledge of using MS Office Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint would be advantageous.
- If this sounds like you then apply now!
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is informal, fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. It’s a great opportunity
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.