|Location:||Exeter St David's|
|Job Type:||Part Time|
Who are we?
GWR is the proud custodian of Brunel's railway - one of the most prestigious networks in the world and with the newest trains in the country and exciting plans to extend our services. With more than one hundred million passenger journeys each year, we carry people to over 275 stations in the South West, from Cornwall to Bristol, South Wales and London, passing through beautiful country and some of the UK's top tourist destinations.
We are transforming the way people think about train travel, empowering our team to make it a great experience for our customers. Together, we will restore the railways as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
Who else is in the team?
As an integral part of our on-board teams, you are responsible for delivering a world-class customer experience to our customers – helping us deliver our vision of revaluing rail in the hearts and minds of the travelling public. You will be working closely with our Conductors and Train Managers as well as colleagues based at stations and our Revenue Protection Inspectors.
What is the job?
As a Ticket Examiner, you will liaise with colleagues to deliver a world-class customer experience throughout the journey and will ensure the safety of everyone using GWR services. The purpose of the role is to protect the revenue of the company and the rail industry by ensuring all customers travel with a valid ticket for their journey. You will be able to adapt to new people, new places and new situations. We are proud in GWR to share a common set of values – these help us deliver for our customers, drive business growth and serve our communities across the West. Working on board our trains, you will clearly demonstrate these behaviours and attitudes.
What will I be doing?
- You will be an ambassador for Great Western Railway by delivering the best customer experience and a safe journey;
- Sell a wide range of tickets, offering the most appropriate product to suit the customer's requirements, and undertake a full inspection of tickets and railcards on trains;
- Undertake ticket checking and selling around special events;
- Issue Penalty Fares to customers where appropriate, in accordance with The Railways (Penalty Fares) Regulations 2018;
- To welcome customers and assist them with their journey, providing information and customer care at all times, but especially when the service is disrupted;
- Whilst walking through the train, ensure that a safe, pleasant and clean train environment is maintained and meets GWR service standards.
How do I need to be?
- Enthusiastic, positive and passionate about delivering outstanding customer service
- Flexible, with the ability to work a variety of shifts
- Comfortable working in a strictly regulated environment
- Proactive with a “can do” attitude
- Able to work effectively when under pressure
What do I need?
- An understanding of customers' needs
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to build relationships and work as part of a team
- Experience of front-line customer service
- The resilience and fortitude of mind to remain calm and professional in confrontational situations
Where is the job based?
This position is based at Exeter St David's station and this is where you will start and end your shifts, but much of your time will be spent travelling on our trains. The station has a range of food outlets.
This role will require you to work a variety of shifts which will include early starts and late finishes as well as weekends and bank holidays.
Is there anything else I should know?
You must live within a maximum of 60 minutes' travelling time of the depot.
This is a part-time seasonal role and you will be working approximately 20 hours a week from May until October.
Please note that the training for this position is full-time for three weeks and takes place in Swindon. Accommodation is provided.
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including defined benefit salary pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you, company-sponsored health care plan, discounted shopping and an employee assistance programme.
The more varied our workforce, the broader the expertise within our organisation. And the broader our expertise, the greater our chances of innovation and success. That's why we're committed to equality of opportunity, diversity and inclusion at every level.
If you share our passion for the railway, then we would love to hear from you.