|Job Type:||Full Time|
Who we are:
GWR is the proud custodian of one of the most prestigious railway networks in the world. Our services call at over 275 stations, carrying more than 100 million passengers every year.
We're currently seeing the biggest investment in the network since the young Brunel turned the idea of a Bristol to London railway into a brilliant working reality. We are already running new trains, providing more seats and faster journeys – as well as continuing to connect more businesses to new and prosperous markets.
Our commitment is to our customers. We aim to transform the way people think about rail travel by setting a new standard – a better experience for our customers. Together we will restore the railways as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
Our four-year Engineering Apprenticeship combines college study with hands-on experience working alongside skilled engineers in our depot workshop learning all aspects of the maintenance, servicing and repairs to the GWR fleet. Our apprenticeship is designed to maximise your full potential and provide you with the competencies and qualifications required to work as a skilled Engineer. The first 3 years you will study a level 3 qualification in Electrical & Mechanical Engineering with an opportunity to progress to an HNC in your fourth year based on progression through the apprenticeship.
What you'll be doing:
Your main responsibilities will be:
- To learn how to service, repair and react to faults reported during operations of the GWR fleet.
- To attend college to achieve the required Engineering qualification enhanced by in-depth company training on site
- To undertake a variety of Engineering tasks to enhance your skills, knowledge and experience to become our Engineers of the future
- To attend training courses at different locations from time to time
- You will also have an opportunity to undertake further academic qualification based on your progress through the apprenticeship.
- There is also a further opportunity to enrol on the Duke of Edinburgh business gold scheme in year 2 of your apprenticeship.
We're not looking for previous experience in engineering or the railway industry if you have commitment, enthusiasm and a keen interest in developing a career in Engineering we have a dedicated apprenticeship team including mentors that will support you throughout the programme.
As a minimum you will need to have;
- Achieved or predicted 5 x GCSE's (or equivalent) Grade 4 or above including Maths, English and Science plus two other subjects, ICT would be desirable.
- Be able to pass the required medical standards
- Strong numerical, verbal and written communication skills
- Be aged 16 or over
- Living within one hours commute of the location listed
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including defined benefit salary pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family, company-sponsored health care plan and an Employee assistance programme.
About the location:
You will be based at Reading along with studying at the world class facilities at Exeter college. Some travel is required for the role, as a GWR employee you will be entitled to free travel on our services. There will be occasions when you will be required to stay away from home, accommodation and transport will be provided for this.
For the first 2 years of the apprenticeship you will work day shift, for year 3 & 4 you will follow a 24/7 shift pattern.
The salary for this role is as follows:
Year 1: £14,000
Year 2: £16,000
Year 3: £18,000
Year 4: £20,000
Please note: You will be required to complete online testing as part of your application. If your application is shortlisted, you will be invited to an assessment on w/c 23rd March in Swindon.
The more varied our workforce, the broader the expertise within our organisation. And the broader our expertise, the greater our chances of innovation and success. That's why we're committed to equality of opportunity, diversity and inclusion at every level.