|Job Type:||Full Time|
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn't have, games that are uniquely Rare! Working here offers opportunities unlike anywhere else. You'll be providing players with unforgettable shared experiences in games loved by millions worldwide. Our pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, launched in 2018, is still going strong – and alongside that we're busy creating our next magical world, Everwild, announced in 2019 to a global audience.
We strive to make Rare an amazing place to work, embracing a culture of respect and building a supportive environment for our developers. Our custom-built Twycross studio is situated in the beautiful English countryside, surrounded by woodland and wildlife, with plenty of room for us to grow. Studio benefits are catered to making life easier for staff, including flexible working, a bonus scheme, an industry-leading pension package, private healthcare, mental health initiatives and free events for employees and their families.
By joining Rare, you'll be joining one of the finest studios in the industry with support from the wider Xbox Game Studios network. We're always on the lookout for exceptional people who can bring their expertise and unique thinking to help make our team even stronger!
Our game teams are the creators and builders of the magic behind Rare’s games and an exciting opportunity has opened on one of our teams for an Experienced Gameplay Programmer!
This opportunity will be working alongside other programmers, designers, artists, testers and production staff to build innovative and exciting game features. In this multi-disciplinary environment, everyone is encouraged to evolve passed their standard day-to-day duties and to share their ideas. No matter where an idea originates, from intern to senior members of staff, we feel it is worthy of consideration in our games.
As our Gameplay Programmer, you can expect to work on many aspects of a game, which could include end-to-end user experience, system design, networked gameplay, artificial intelligent or user interfaces – to name a few! With these opportunities, we’re looking for someone who embraces a challenge and holds a desire to give something a try.
We pride ourselves on high quality engineering here at Rare and aim for faster iteration with robust methods. As such, you can expect to work with modern development practices such as continuous delivery, automated testing, code reviews, pair programming and agile methods.
We promise that by joining Rare, you’ll be working in a supportive environment with opportunities to grow your skillset, whether that’s engineering discussions, volunteering to host a workshop or helping steer how we build games in the future!
If this sounds like an unmissable opportunity to you, do keep reading…
- Work with other engineers, designers, artists and testers to originate, implement and iterate on software features for inclusion in our games.
- Solve problems through the application of sound engineering practice.
- Continuously work to minimise technical debt and maintenance hazards.
- Ensure that our systems are performant and that they scale with use.
- Devote time to personal improvement to further your own game development and programming knowledge.
- Devote time to the development of others on the team. Mentor and encourage growth and independence in those you work with.
- Be part of Rare’s culture; Be inquisitive, try things out, break stuff, recognise growth opportunities and help people be even better!
- Able to demonstrate that you have a solid grounding in Computer Science theory and C++ development and have a genuine enthusiasm for the subject.
- Hold at least a year’s experience in the field.
- Bring enthusiasm for at least one area of technical expertise. Games are big and complex, but there will probably be one or two topics that you think are particularly interesting - Tell us what you like.
- Be enthusiastic about modern development techniques and keen to apply them to games. Test automation is a key element of our approach so experience with automation, or a willingness to learn, is essential.
- Show us that you have a good foundation in C++ software design, programming and debugging.
- Experience working with Unreal Engine 4 is preferred, but not essential.
- Experience in working with AI would be preferable but not essential if you have the passion and the interest to create engaging and reactive companions and combatants
- Must have a genuine passion for games of all sorts and the drive to create new experiences for players
- Be driven to learn and willing to challenge yourself
- Be activated when working with people with diverse backgrounds and contrasting points of view.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.