|Job Type:||Full Time|
Can you provide customer's with a feeling of safety, security and welcome? Are you able to work within set rules and regulations while still prioritising a customer's journey experience? Can you deliver travel information in a clear and concise manner? We expect our guards to be visible at all times and to be on hand to make the difference to our customers.
Your duties will fall into two main categories - customer service and operational. It is an environment in which you will sometimes be working under pressure, when there are multiple demands on your attention and time.
You will be responsible for the safety of customers on your train, working in accordance with rules, regulations and instructions and make sure that, as far as is possible the trains run to time, and any unavoidable delay is prevented.
What will do you do?
- Monitor customers getting on and off your train, helping as appropriate those with special needs, e.g. the elderly, disabled and those with children or heavy luggage.
- Answer enquires as necessary and make quality public announcements using your On Train Manual, or other information provided, according to the needs of the journey. Operate electronic information systems when these are provided.
- On a regular basis walk your train to ensure passenger comfort and security is maintained by taking the initiative in dealing with overcrowding, unauthorised First Class travel, instances of feet on seats, smoking, noisy personal stereos and suspect packages.
- Provide all possible assistance to customers when trains are delayed, arranging for urgent messages from customers to be forwarded, where practicable.
- Carry out “train customer counts” as required.
- Ensure validity of all Rules, Notices and Retail circulars and publications, which may affect your working environment or product knowledge.
- Check equipment, cleanliness and general environment of trains and take action by correcting or reporting any faults promptly through the appropriate channels.
- Ensure performance records are maintained.
How will I be rewarded?
£22,450 per annum rising to £33,507 per annum after qualifying plus associated regional allowance of £2,122 per annum.
What benefits do we offer?
We offer valuable benefits including:
- Free travel - Free standard work and leisure travel on SWR services for you, free leisure travel for spouse/partner and dependants (criteria dependant) , and 75% discount on many other train operating companies.
- First Xclusives - Discounts on First UK rail and bus and over 3,000 offers on goods and services for you, your family and friends
- Share in our success – Buy discounted shares in First
- Excellent Pension Scheme – You'll automatically join our scheme and start building a pension pot.
What hours will I need to work?
Average of 42 hours per week working a mixture of early and late shifts across 7 days.
- Applicants must reach the required health and fitness standards as this position is classified as safety critical.
- Applicants must be over 18 years of age.
- Own transport is preferred due to the early start and late finish times.
- Applicants travelling time to the station must not exceed 45 minutes. Please note check travelling time from home postcode to Strawberry Hill station for a 04.30 start and 16:30 start. If you do not currently live within 45 minutes travelling time but would be willing to relocate if successful please include this in your application.
Please note that if you are successful at the screening stage you will be invited to attend an assessment in Southampton. Please note that once a date is agreed you will be sent a complimentary travel invite.