|Job Type:||Full Time|
We have an exciting opportunity for aUser Experience/Human-Computer Interaction (HCI)Researchinternto work with us at Microsoft Research Cambridgewithinthe team working onourFuture of Worktheme.In partnership with theMicrosoftOfficeproduct team we are exploring the use of knowledge in large organizations.We are interested in thevaluethatknowledge bringstoeverydayworkflows, and the potentialofmachine learning(ML)systems fordiscovering andsurfacingknowledge automatically, in the right context, so it can be acted uponquickly and easily.We have a range ofearly-stagedesign concepts and systems that we have developed, andwe need an enthusiastic and collaborative applicant who can help us understandif and how they add valueto work, and how we should iterate on them.
You will bring a human-centred perspective to theresearch,workingclosely witha highly multi-disciplinary team that includesML experts, social scientists, designers, engineers and program managersbased both in Cambridge andSeattle. Using qualitative methods—including interviewsandformal/informal concepttesting—you will work to helpusuncoverand refineapproaches for designing and engineering knowledge systems that add real value to individuals and teams in the workplace.
- Work in a multi-disciplinary teamhelpingevaluate and iterate ondesign and engineering concepts
- Work in partnership with both Microsoft Research and a Microsoft product group
- Translate findings into practical design insights
- Deploy prototype technologies and evaluate their impact on social practice
- Generate insights that fuel ideation
- Write and present your findings in technical documents or papers
- Undertaking a PhD in HCI,Computer-SupportedCooperative Work (CSCW),or a related social science field (e.g. Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Organisational Psychology)
- Experience or interest working in the Future of Work domain
- Experiencewithplanningandconductingtests of design concepts,as well asanalysing andcommunicating the results
- Experience working collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Experiencewithideation techniques for design (brainstorming etc) a bonus
- Experiencewithparticipant recruitment
- Demonstrable fluency in bothspoken and written English
- Availability to start before the end of June 2020
Internships at Microsoft Research Cambridge are 12 weeks in duration, and we are seeking a candidate whocanstart before the end of June 2020. We encourage candidates who may not meet every stated qualification to apply.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.