|Job Type:||Full Time|
We are the mobile cross-device team within Experiences and Devices at Microsoft. We build cross-device experiences that help people around the world be productive on their iPhones, their Android phones/tablets and their PCs.
Our engineering teams are in Redmond, London and Beijing and together we focus on shipping innovative, industry-leading, cloud-based experiences on both phones & PCs, infused with advanced machine learning and AI. Our vision is big enough to change the way our customers will experience their favorite Microsoft features & services on their mobile devices in the future.
In the xMx team at Microsoft London we build SwiftKey – a popular keyboard downloaded over 500 million times on Android devices (soon to include the upcoming Surface Duo!). Our mission is to make mobile input a great experience for all.
Within our broader engineering group, we are part of the team that produces several Microsoft apps for Android and iOS:
This is a leadership position and will involve taking on people management responsibilities, with engineers and other engineering leaders reporting to you. At Microsoft, we expect all leaders to create a clear vision for their team, build energy and deliver success. Candidates will be assessed for these core expectations of the role as part of the interview process
- Produce and own a clear vision for SwiftKey’s keyboard applications
- Provide strategic guidance to agile team leads. Work with product management to ensure that their backlogs are filled with highest business impact items and they are set up to succeed
- Manage relationships with distribution partners, both internally and externally
- Coach new leaders and help them grow and support their respective teams
- Support and inspire a team of application developers to learn and grow in their careers at Microsoft. You are part engineer and part mentor. We have a talented team of existing engineers in this space and we expect you to nurture their ambition.
- Apply strong technical judgement and experience to advise effectively in decision-making and offer informed, realistic commitments to the leadership team
- Ship a high-quality product to hundreds of millions of customers with a high and regular cadence of updates.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You value diversity and inclusivity in the workplace
- You are empathetic and eager to work collaboratively with your direct reports, peers and manager
- You are eager to learn and try new things
- You bring energy and enthusiasm to your team, seeing challenges you face as opportunities to deliver more value to the business
- You have a relevant degree at Bachelor’s level or higher (or equivalent experience), demonstrating the required technical background. (e.g. Comp Sci, Software Engineering, or other similarly technical fields)
- You have experience leading teams, projects and helping engineers to learn and grow, particularly in the mobile apps field
- You exercise good judgement
- You have a passion for data and make decisions based on evidence
- You have experience in some of the key responsibilities listed above – setting a vision for and motivating your team, aligning engineering strategy with business needs, coaching other leaders and exercising good judgement.
- Android / iOS app development and team leadership
- Ability to work with large software projects, developed by multiple agile teams
- Agile project leadership (SCRUM/Kanban)
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.