|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Manager Selection Team (also known as “Manager Solutions”) researches third party funds to support various stakeholders at Schroders around the world. We are part of Schroder Investment Management, the main asset management business in the Schroder group. Businesses we serve such as Multi Asset Investments and Portfolio Solutions account for around one quarter of Schroders’ AUM.
The range of strategies and vehicles that we research spans from passive funds such as ETFs and index funds through to various alternatives in both investment trusts and open ended structures such as UCITS and non UCITS hedge funds. The team also supports the $6.2bn “GAIA” platform in which we partner with third party fund managers to launch new co-branded versions of their strategies.
Following a large mandate taken on by Schroders, we are working closely with the Schroders Multi-Manager team to serve the new Schroders Personal Wealth business.
Supporting this new mandate will be a core part of the new role in addition to new business opportunities within Model Portfolio Services (MPS).
Overview of Role:
As a research analyst, you will be required to undertake original qualitative and quantitative research into third party fund managers across asset classes, strategies, regions and sectors according to the needs of the business. You will conduct searches for investment opportunities, conduct comprehensive Investment Due Diligence (IDD) and monitor held or approved funds.
You will be a member of the Manager Selection Investment Committee, presenting your research and providing a peer review for the work of others.
The team adopts a “non siloed” approach to coverage but based on current business needs we are looking for a candidate with strong knowledge of long only equity managers.
We are interested to meet candidates with experience in selecting and monitoring funds using quantitative techniques, in addition to core skills in qualitative research.
Main Duties and Overall Responsibilities:
- Be the named analyst accountable for a number of investments.
- Monitor existing holdings, with appropriate written research.
- Conduct research on additional or replacement investments.
- Update the team and portfolio managers on developments in the funds / managers/ strategies under your coverage.
- Arrange and typically lead face-to-face meetings with fund managers, with relevant preparation.
- Produce ongoing contact notes and opinions to relevant stakeholders via our central research database.
- Aid in the construction and maintenance of approved lists of funds to be used by the portfolio management team and for onward distribution where more bespoke client agreements mandate.
- Provide peer review as a member of the Manager Selection Investment Committee.
- Maintain data quality on funds under coverage, liaising with our external data team as needed.
- Collaborate across the Schroder group as appropriate.
- Experience of conducting Fund and / or Manager Research.
- Likely to have worked in Asset Management, Private Banking / Wealth Management or at an independent fund research provider.
- Hold or working towards investment qualifications such as the CFA designation.
- Experience in evaluating and monitoring third party managers via both desk-based research and face-to-face interviews.
- Willingness to express overall opinions about funds and managers supported by analysis of their specific strengths and weaknesses.
- Existing knowledge of the fund/ manager universe. Especially long only equity funds.
- A demonstrable track record in the selection of high quality fund managers and analysis of the likely environment under which they tend to perform.
- Curiosity about the investment world and a desire to grow.
- Ability to work independently and proactively in identifying suitable opportunities, whilst maintaining a strong team ethic and transparent approach.
- Excellent written and presentation skills, including use of Word, Excel & PowerPoint.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Willingness to challenge colleagues’ opinions in a constructive manner and receptiveness to feedback.
- Practical experience of analytical tools such as Lipper IM/ EIKON; Morningstar; Style Analytics. Ability to master other tools which you may not have used before.