|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. We believe we should each find meaning in our work and we ensure employees have the freedom and the reach to help make a difference in the world.
About the Intern Programme (12-month Placement)
When you do an 12 month placement with us you will come into a real job role and belong to an established team, receive a full induction as well as on the job coaching, mentoring and personal development.
Based in Reading, London or Edinburgh you’ll have an unforgettable year working in any number of roles and areas. From data analyst roles to PR and marketing, sales and technical roles, no matter what you are studying there is a place for you at Microsoft.
Stretch (Extra) Projects
On top of your day-to-day role, you also have the chance to get involved in a variety of stretch projects. Stretch projects are in addition to your job role and unique to the intern programme. They include teams that evangelise about our exciting technology to external audiences, support on impactful citizenship projects, help with diversity events and fundraising activities and work on business impact projects with senior leaders. There are also opportunities to manage blogs, design apps and undertake internal projects, whatever your passion is there is a stretch project for you.
We’ll help you make the most of your talents with training that looks something like this
- 70% learning on the job
- 20% learning from your manager, peers and mentor
- 10% learning through structured courses and role-specific training
Some of the highlights of your training will include:
- Three-day induction
- Manager one-to-ones
- Quarterly development meetings
- Mentoring and coaching opportunities
- Microsoft Office Specialist Exams
- Organised Intern community events
- Access to the Microsoft Learning Centre
Associate Consultant Intern
- Supports our enterprise customers to get the best from their technology choices.
- Empowering them to create better software.
- Adopting the cloud, improving security, reducing risks across their entire software development
- Delivering business insight and offering support to the team.
Day to Day Responsibility:
- 1 day: team operations/planning/reporting
responsible for keeping track of all sales opportunities that come to our team. This consists of
liaising with the consultants on the team and getting useful updates on potential contracts on a
regular basis, then reporting about these contracts weekly to the manager.
- 2.5 days: software development
Half of the week would be spent doing standard development work. This involved using our
Azure Dev Ops site to take user stories, make branches on a repository and produce work to
- 0.5 days: self-development + upskilling
Microsoft has a keen policy that 10% of an employee’s time should be spent learning new
things. spend this time to ramp up in technologies you’re working with (such as Azure).
- 1 day: Side project
As Interns we have an obligation to involve ourselves in side projects (internally dubbed “101
teams”). These projects are tangential to our primary roles and encompass a variety of different
We are looking for candidates that have the following qualities:
- Team Player: driving digital transformation with our customers is a team sport. We need teammates who can stay focused on our customers' satisfaction while operating in a highly-collaborative and global organization.
- Growth Mindset: your life is truly about learning-it-all. You approach every new piece of information, knowledge, and competency with curiosity. Ultimately, you're open to the ideas of others, where the success of others does not diminish your own.
- Customer Obsessed: you learn about your customers and their businesses with a beginner's mind and then bring solutions that meet their needs.
- Diverse & Inclusive: You don't just value differences, you seek them out and invite them in.
What you will get? Rewards & benefits
Alongside the long-term career benefits, the Intern programme comes with some great advantages from day one. You’ll earn a competitive salary of £20,000 and be given 25 days’ holiday during your year with us, three days a year to volunteer for a cause of your choice, product discounts, subsidised cafes and restaurants, free drinks, gym membership (HQ), wellbeing centres and free legal advice and emotional support.
You must be eligible to undertake a 12 month placement starting in July 2020. PLease ensure you attach a full up to date CV with your application to be considered.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.