|Job Type:||Full Time|
At Microsoft Research Cambridge, UK, our researchers, scientists and engineers undertake world-leading ambitious projects in an industrial research and development setting. For our Game Intelligence research portfolio, we are seeking a highly motivated Graduate Associate Researcher / Technical Program Manager with a background in program management, and strong interest in game development and artificial intelligence, machine learning, and/or reinforcement learning.
Program management within Microsoft Research draws on a blend of skills in product management, project management, technology horizon scanning, communicating, both technical understanding and “soft skills.” We seek an individual with demonstrated capability in a subset of these skills, who wants to deepen and broaden their skill set in a fast-paced industrial research environment.
The successful applicant will work closely with a team of researchers and research engineers to incubate, plan, and deliver early-stage technology to shipped product. This can include driving the development of research prototypes as well as new features in high-impact products with the potential to impact billions. As part of this Graduate-level opportunity, mentorship will be provided to help the successful candidate further build out their Technical Program Manager skill set.
This is a unique opportunity for a recent graduate or early career program manager to join an interdisciplinary team and generate high impact. Working with the world's best researchers and research engineers at Microsoft Research, this role gives you the opportunity to be at the bleeding edge of our rapidly evolving technological world, seeking innovative solutions to the world's toughest challenges and improving the lives of people everywhere.
Contract: Fixed term (12 months)
Occasional international travel (up to 25%) may be needed.
Application deadline: 6th of March 2020
- Product Management: Facilitate successful interactions between the research lab and Microsoft product teams. Contribute to framing of emerging projects based on an understanding of the lab’s research capabilities and how they fit with the needs of Microsoft product teams and/or external customers. Successfully work with research leaders, to communicate and share their vision.
- Project Management: Deliver project tracking, coordination and communications skills across multiple projects, with deeper understanding of the technical needs of the projects and where gaps may lie. Projects are efforts based on the lab’s research that are typically larger in scope than individual researchers and often involve developers and/or data scientists. They may feature a team of researchers working towards a larger goal, in-depth interactions with Microsoft product teams or high-visibility external partnerships.
- Stakeholder Management: Managing distributed internal stakeholders across geographies, effectively communicating project status and coordinating activities.
- Technical expertise is essential. BA/BS required; Masters/PhD preferred; ideally in a technical field, (including but not limited to computer science, engineering, mathematics, physics, biology or other sciences).
- Experience in project management, program management and/or product management experience is essential.
- Experience either performing academic style research or working with PhD researchers is a plus.
- Preferred experience working in gaming or AI.
- Some hands-on experience with Artificial Intelligence technologies would be desirable, in particular experience with machine learning or reinforcement learning.
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple priorities.
- Keen attention to detail with analytical problem-solving skills. Understanding of business processes and challenges.
- Excellent communication skills; fluent English speaker a must
- Personal integrity, initiative, curiosity and exceptional judgement
- The ability to work well within a diverse, geographically distributed, multi-cultural environment
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
We offer a competitive salary.