|Job Type:||Full Time|
Become part of the team
Business Development and Technology Consultant – Systems Engineering & Electronics in Defence and Security
Role based in Cambridge but with extensive travel to the South West.
Fantastic opportunity for an experienced systems engineer looking for an opportunity to move into a more commercial role
Become part of the Team
Our Defence and Security sector team has an impressive track record in delivering ground breaking technical projects of national importance. We help maximise the impact of technology for customers in the government and private sectors, working across key areas of policy, strategy, and implementation of technical solutions.
In PA you’ll be working within one of the most successful UK organisations in Technology Development and Product Development, with a team who have an exceptional reputation across government and the private sector. Our team includes world class experts in data science, electronics and mechanical engineering, software development, networks/communciations, and we are seeking an Electronics or Systems Engineer that has a strong record in delivering innovation projects but is now looking for a step up their career.
Our D&S client base need support ensuring they leverage innovation and technology development into their programmes in the most efficient manner and you will be leading PA’s efforts to deliver on this. If you are seeking a client-facing role that rewards success, ingenuity and commercial acumen, then this is an opportunity not to be missed.
The role is diverse and highly varied, but you can be expected to take an active role in:
- Business case & strategy development
- Technical delivery of innovation projects across areas such as electronics, systems engineering and embedded software
Some Key Duties:
- Support partners with the develop commercially viable propositions and be confident taking them to market
- Design, deliver and lead large scale and complex projects in the D&S sector
- Work within mixed consulting and client teams, planning, managing and delivering work
- Develop strategic client relationships, working at the senior levels on high profile work to tight timescales
- Managing project teams (2-10 people) whilst still being actively involved and taking ownership of delivery
- Responsible for quality, profit and project planning
- Be highly customer focused which will involve regular client visits across the South West defence community
- Be part of the thought leadership team at PDE and attend meetings/sessions/client tours based at our Melbourn Global Technology and Innovation Centre.
Candidates must have strong interpersonal skills, be customer-focused and be willing to travel on business. In the majority of cases assignments will be in the UK and Europe (predominantly the South West).
What we're looking for
- A strong technical background in electronics and systems engineering
- Proven background delivering technical projects within the defence/security industry
- Security vetted to either SC or DV level
- Awareness of the commercial realities associated with the delivery of major programmes
- Ability to use your technical expertise, excellent interpersonal skills, and commercial acumen, to understand requirements, formulate and deliver creative solutions to client issues.
- Comfortable travelling in the South West with frequent travel to client sites
If you enjoy working on technically challenging projects that have real-world impact then this would be an exciting chance to get hands on with innovation in the public sector. It would suit technically strong candidates in the D&S space that want to take their career down a more technical/commerical route as opposed to pure project management or strategy career path.
- Generous annual bonus scheme linked to your achievements and contribution to your practice area
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family - high level of cover
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Generous company pension scheme
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Training and development budget to push your career forwards
- Mentoring programme to accelerate your transition from delivery to business development.
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future in a technology-driven world.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 3,200 specialists in consumer, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government, health and life sciences, manufacturing, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists. We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Europe, and the Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
We believe that diversity makes us a stronger firm and look to employ people with different ideas, styles and skillsets. This diversity stimulates a rich, creative environment – one in which our people develop, and our clients enjoy enduring results. We’re committed to recruiting, promoting and rewarding our people solely based on their ability to contribute to PA’s goals, without regard to their sex, race, disability, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.