|Job Type:||Full Time|
About Network Rail
Network Rail is at the heart of revitalising Britain's railway. From Crossrail - Europe's largest civil engineering project - to investment in world-class stations and major programmes of electrification, we're involved in some of the most ambitious and diverse ventures that this country has ever seen.
Here at Network Rail, we believe that investing in our people is key to improving the safety, reliability and efficiency of the railway. This in turn, means that we can serve the needs of our customers and the travelling public.
Network Rail Training is committed to this goal. We aim to create an environment where every individual is able to succeed and is encouraged to reach their full potential, helping the company to become a natural choice for talented people to join.
Network Rail Training provides a full training and development service that is aligned to our customer's objectives and priorities for the successful development of their team's capabilities and competences.
We deliver a wide range of learning solutions from technical and vocational skills, through to professional development, safety, leadership, new entrant programmes and higher education designed and developed to enable continuous improvement of safety and business performance across the business. Everything we do is to support Network Rail's safety culture of getting everyone home safe every day.
This is why we've set up our own state of the art training and development centres with the majority of the training being delivered by former maintenance and operations staff. This means they truly understand the technical aspects of a task with the vital safety behaviours needed to get our people home safe every day.
The People Capability team, part of Network Rail Training, provide project and consultancy services to the rail industry relating to the introduction of new technology and training.On a path to becoming more commercialised, the new appointment of a Development Manager is seen as vital to developing the future services Network Rail Training has to offer, bridging the strategic and delivery activity.
This role will provide support to our customers to understand their needs, developing business cases and establishing training projects to enable new technology. The post holder will need to have knowledge of Investment processes and programmes/project lifecycle, in addition to being adept at engaging with stakeholders across the industry, demonstrating exceptional stakeholder management skills in addition to good financial, commercial and risk awareness.
You will be joining a supportive, collaborative and creative team, and be given the flexibility and autonomy to innovate and develop this role in addition to gaining excellent career development opportunities.
This role can be based in either Milton Keynes or London.
About the role
- Lead and direct the development of a portfolio of projects to time, cost and quality in a safe and environmentally responsible manner, in accordance with Network Rail's governance processes (e.g. GRIP, MSP4NR), standards and other specific legislation, including CDM Regulations.
- Clarify and agree remits on behalf of the Safety, Technical & Engineering Group and provide advice to clients on project development and related techniques.
- Provide a professional, consistent and effective project development service to clients.
- Produce Investment Papers for programmes/projects at all stages of the project lifecycle.
- Manage the production of project plans across the Safety, Technical & Engineering Group's portfolio of work.
- Control change, risk and contingency within the development stages of programmes/projects and provide all cost, contingency and programme details to enable the Sponsor to obtain authorisation for portfolios/projects.
- Monitor development activities through various stages (e.g. GRIP Stage Gate Reviews) of the project lifecycle, managing any changes to the project scope, keeping the Sponsor informed.
- Comply with the Investment Competence Framework.
- Develop and integrate effective management systems.
Job skills, experience and qualifications:
- Relevant successful experience in managing the development of an investment portfolio
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Membership of a professional body
- Knowledge of investment processes and procedures
- Knowledge and understanding of project and contract management
- Good financial, commercial and risk awareness
- Knowledge of business case analysis
- Chartered status
- CDM and risk assessment competence
- Knowledge of the rail industry and Network Rail's contractual commitments to customers
How to apply
Network Rail welcomes applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other irrelevant factor. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria. We positively embrace flexible working recognising that employees may wish to balance work and family/home life.
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do, safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail.Applicants should demonstrate their personal commitment to safety in their application.
Network Rail can offer you a rewarding career with competitive pay and excellent benefits including a choice of contributory pension schemes, a generous annual leave package, a bonus scheme and an annual 75% subsidy on season tickets costing up to £3,333 (to a maximum amount of £2,500).
We adhere to a structured pay framework, any salary offered will be within the following pay range: £42,971-£48.342
Network Rail is required to comply with UK Government standards when carrying out pre-employment checks for all new starters; this includes a basic criminal record check. In addition to the basic criminal record check, in accordance with the UK Government we are also required to verify your identity, right to work in the UK and previous three years employment history.
Closing date: 10-Dec-2019. Late applications will not be accepted.We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes.