|Job Type:||Full Time|
About Network Rail
Our Eastern region looks after the railway from the borders of Scotland to the nation's capital, taking in the Northeast, Yorkshire & the Humber, Lincolnshire, East Midlands, Anglia and commuter routes in and out of London along the way. We operate and maintain some of the busiest and most congested rail lines in the country, connecting millions of people to city, town, coast and country. We connect people to friends and family, jobs and leisure, as well as goods to businesses here and abroad.
Due to an increasing workload (in terms of value, volume and complexity) it's an exciting time to join our team as we grow and develop our Asset Protection capabilities in the Eastern region.
We have a number of opportunities across project/construction management and engineering based at our four office locations.
The Asset Protection team assists external parties in the delivery of works that interface with the operational railway. We respond to 2500 queries per year ranging from simple lineside matters through to major interfacing projects (such as new bridges/major line adjacent developments) and including multimillion pound multidisciplinary schemes promoting external investment in the railway. Clients range from lineside neighbours through to government departments and blue chip companies.
We support the delivery of major projects by providing the interface and assurance roles for clients wishing to invest in the railway under the Open for Business programme initiatives. Current investment projects include new and enhanced stations and upgrades of existing freight lines to accommodate passenger services.
This vacancy covers both Assistant Construction Manager and Construction Management Assistant opportunities in York and Derby.
1. Assist in the construction management and/ or supervision of project works.
2. Comply with construction management processes and effectively implement them.
3. Apply a consistent approach to construction management, implementation of processes and the management of contractors.
4. Assist in providing construction management input to the project works, particularly advice regarding construction/ implementation/ constructability, attendance at pre-possession planning meetings, construction/ implementation reviews and QSRA meetings.
5. Assist in the liaison with the Maintainer when the project works will/ may affect Maintained Assets.
6. Assist in the evaluation of progress on site against the programme and agreed milestones. Use this information to provide accurate updates to the project team and agreed reporting lines.
7. Assist the Project Manager for the project works in the review of Work Package Plans, Task Briefing Sheets, commissioning plans and other project documentation.
8. Undertake suitable inspections/ audits for the project works being managed in regard to safety, quality, environment, engineering/ design compliance, functionality and commissioning.
9. Keep suitable records for the project works being managed and communicate information regarding construction management to the rest of the project team in a timely and effective manner.
10. For the project works being monitored to identify issues on site that may result in cost variation and report them to the project team, providing assistance in the valuation of these variations if required.
11. When notable issues are encountered these will be escalated to the Construction Manager to ensure timely and effective guidance, escalation and resolution.
12. Identify best practices to the Construction Manager.
Assistant Construction Manager:
Customer focused and single point of contact for routine asset protection activities. Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to identify risks and control measures reviewing proposed construction methodology. Role will undertake liaison directly with the customer, plan access and undertake site supervision
Construction Management Assistant:
Undertake site supervision under direction of the asset protection construction manager. Deliver safety critical activities under planned track access including some weekend and out of hours working. Undertake site audits for compliance with proposed methodology.
About the role
Demonstrable experience of the implementation of health, safety, environmental and quality management processes
Construction Management Assistant Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
How to apply
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do, safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail.Applicants should demonstrate their personal commitment to safety in their application.
Network Rail can offer you a rewarding career with competitive pay and excellent benefits including a choice of contributory pension schemes, a generous annual leave package, a bonus scheme and an annual 75% subsidy on season tickets costing up to £3,333 (to a maximum amount of £2,500).
Network Rail is required to comply with UK Government standards when carrying out pre-employment checks for all new starters; this includes a basic criminal record check. In addition to the basic criminal record check, in accordance with the UK Government we are also required to verify your identity, right to work in the UK and previous three years employment history.
Construction Management Assistant salary: band 6, £23,000 - £28,000 dependent on experience plus available overtime
Closing date: 06th December, 2019. Late applications will not be accepted