|Job Type:||Full Time|
About Network Rail
Network Rail owns, manages and develops Britain's railway - the 20,000 miles of track, 40,000 bridges and viaducts, and the thousands of signals, level crossings and stations (the largest of which we also run). In partnership with train operators we help people take more than 1.6bn journeys by rail every year - double the number of 1996 - and move hundreds of millions of tonnes of freight, saving almost 8m lorry journeys. We're investing £48bn in the railway by 2024 to deliver more frequent, more reliable, safer services and brighter and better stations.
The Network Rail Telecom (NRT) team is responsible for operating all of Network Rail's telecoms assets and networks. This responsibility includes managing asset life cycles as well as the development, delivery and support of first class telecommunication networks and services. In simple terms, NRT transports data between A and B enabling Network Rail to run operationally both on the railway (signalling, customer information systems, CCTV cameras etc.) and as a business (desk phones, mobile devices, data connections etc.). NRT is also playing a key role in the realisation of Network Rail's digital railway aspiration which requires huge amounts of data managed securely to work.
To support Designers to undertake design activities of new and existing telecoms solutions across Network Rail's telecoms estate, whilst conforming to Network Rail's safety, standards and corporate objectives
About the role
- Support the production of Network Design solutions and implementation plans whilst building effective relationships with customers and managing their business requirements.
- To develop good relationships with all departments, suppliers and handle customer's requirements in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Adhere to CDM requirements where applicable such as Identification and mitigation of hazards through design, which could be influenced by the telecoms system driving safety by design.
- Support the production of Network Designs that adhere to schedule plans whilst maintaining a high level of quality and integrity through peer review processes.
- Support the service offering and product catalogue, including implementation SLAs, to support customers in having a clear understanding of capabilities.
- Support the Senior Network Design Engineer with design requirements and customer issues.
- Support the Senior Network Design Engineer in providing Tier 4 support to operation on complex network faults.
- Working in collaboration with Network Operations to ensure existing and new services are operationally acceptable for transition into a live environment.
- To improve competence, knowledge and capability through training and experience within this role.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
- Relevant experience in the successful design and implementation of telecoms network in the telecoms and/or rail industries.
- Engineering/architecture network skills in relation to Network Design Engineering.
- Telecoms experience across a range of technologies particularly IP with understanding of architecture, engineering, design and operational processes.
- Delivering high levels of customer service & satisfaction in rapidly changing and competitive telecoms environments.
- Knowledge of telecoms operational and business support systems / best practice supporting processes.
- Knowledge for business quality management principles and standards.
- Excellent communication skills at all levels.
- Relevant Engineering Degree
- Membership of an appropriate Professional Institution
- Network Certification (Cisco CCNA/NP, CCDA/DP, CCIE, Juniper JNCxx),
- Good understanding of LAN/WAN/SAN architecture
- Knowledge of telecoms business process frameworks (TOGAF or ITIL V3)
How to apply
Network Rail welcomesapplications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civilpartnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexualorientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, tradeunion affiliation, or other irrelevant factor. We will interview all disabledapplicants who meet the essential criteria.
Keeping people safe on therailway is at the heart of everything we do, safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for NetworkRail.Applicants should demonstratetheir personal commitment to safety in their application.
You may wish to visit our Safety Vision
Network Rail can offer you a rewarding career with competitive payand excellent benefits including a choice of contributory pension schemes,a generous annual leave package, a bonus scheme and an annual 75% subsidy onseason tickets (to a maximum amount of £2,500).
Network Rail positivelyembraces flexible working recognising that employees may wish to balance workand family/home life.
Network Rail adheres to astructured pay framework, any salary offered will be within the following pay range: £30,000 - £32,000.
As an arm's length departmentof the UK Government, Network Rail is required to comply with awell-established pre-employment vetting process for all prospective employees.
Baseline Personnel SecurityStandard (BPSS) checks require prospective employees of Network Rail to meetthe following requirements:
- Provide eligibility to work in the UK and identity documentation
- Complete a satisfactory 3 year employment history check
- Complete a satisfactory unspent criminal conviction disclosure check
For more information regardingBPSS pre-employment related checks, please visit the UK Government website forfurther information - UK Government - BPSS Checks
Closing date: 11th December 2019, late applications will not beaccepted.We retain the right to closethe advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes.