|Job Type:||Full Time|
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn't have, games that are uniquely Rare! Working here offers opportunities unlike anywhere else. You'll be providing players with unforgettable shared experiences in games loved by millions worldwide. Our pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, launched in 2018, is still going strong – and alongside that we're busy creating our next magical world, Everwild, announced in 2019 to a global audience.
We strive to make Rare an amazing place to work, embracing a culture of respect and building a supportive environment for our developers. Our custom-built Twycross studio is situated in the beautiful English countryside, surrounded by woodland and wildlife, with plenty of room for us to grow. Studio benefits are catered to making life easier for staff, including flexible working, a bonus scheme, an industry-leading pension package, private healthcare, mental health initiatives and free events for employees and their families.
By joining Rare, you'll be joining one of the finest studios in the industry with support from the wider Xbox Game Studios network. We're always on the lookout for exceptional people who can bring their expertise and unique thinking to help make our team even stronger!
An exciting opportunity has opened on our team for a Principal Engineer, a crucial role in the current and future development of engineering at Rare!
As our Principal Engineer, your role will be to identify key technical problems and recommend opportunities to the studio to allow us to execute against them. With your expertise, we’ll be able to advance our development process, avoid pitfalls and deliver an even greater experience for our players.
We can promise that this job is as varied as the games industry itself and subsequently requires both excellent technical skills and deep domain experience. As our Principal, you can adapt to changing situations; knowing when it’s best to get deep into the code and when to rally a team to fix the problem. This role also encompasses the opportunity to shape our technology landscape, championing new tech and steering its development.
If you’re looking for a high-level role that works across Rare with the leadership team, while still being hands on in engineering, then this role could be for you…
- Be proactive. Identify the key risks facing the project and studio and generate a plan for tackling them.
- Look forward. Keep abreast of new technologies and opportunities. Make a case for how these new opportunities will allow us to deliver greater player value and new experiences that will surprise and delight.
- Be player obsessed. Drive to understand how decisions affect player experience. Use data to validate decisions and focus effort where it delivers the most value.
- Be adaptable. Priorities will change and the industry moves fast. Principal engineers should be willing to change direction and confident in taking other people with them.
- Continuously improve. Champion quality in our development process, demonstrate our values and take an active role in improvement of engineering at Rare.
- Be part of and shape Rare's culture; be inquisitive, try things out, break stuff, help people be even better and think like you own the place.
- Proven AAA games experience in a wide range of areas.
Principal engineers should be comfortable across many disciplines of game engineering and domain experts in at least one.
- Clear and confident Communication.
You will need to communicate across multiple disciplines at all levels of the business.
- Strong software design skills.
- Excellent C++.
- Networked multiplayer games
- Experience working in a Game as a service.
- Experience working with Unreal Engine 4.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.