|Job Type:||Full Time|
Lead the anti-money laundering team at a cutting-edge, dynamic and high-growth fintech company.
GoCardless processes billions in payments each year. Tens of thousands of businesses across the UK and beyond rely on us to handle their payments, and hundreds more sign up every week. As we look to the future, those businesses will be larger, more demanding, and present in multiple countries - and so will we. We are responsible for ensuring that our products and services do not facilitate money laundering and that we fulfil our obligations to our regulators and partners, such as our banking partners, all whilst providing the best possible experience for our merchants, and enabling our business to scale.
The legal and compliance team are at the forefront of GoCardless’ expansion - both domestically and abroad, and must ensure that GoCardless adopts, implements and maintains innovative and appropriate processes and controls.
You will be responsible setting the money laundering (and anti-bribery and corruption) agenda within GoCardless. You will take a consultative approach and work closely with every business division to implement and manage an innovative and practical, yet thorough, AML regime.
Some of the main elements of the role will involve:
- Surveying and interpreting our regulatory and broader risk landscape, both domestically and internationally.
- Working with senior managers across the business to establish and execute a world-class compliance framework, monitoring and training programme.
- Being the ultimate point of escalation for AML issues, including in relation to suspicious activity reports.
- Conducting annual risk assessments and incorporating conclusions into current policies.
- Monitoring, testing and reporting on the effectiveness of the programme and day to day operation of AML policies.
- Leading our response to requests for information made by the FCA, NCA or other relevant regulator or law enforcement agency.
- Constantly driving for improvement in efficiency and risk management.
- Championing and driving adoption of industry standard certifications, where appropriate.
What we're looking for
We’re looking for someone with experience in a regulated financial institution, or other corporate, and who is passionate about moving to a fast-paced fintech startup. You will be driven and able to work independently, while taking a consultative approach in an area that can be seen as inhibitive to business.
You may be a mid-level lawyer looking for an exciting new challenge, or an experienced AML professional, looking to shape the compliance function at a growing company.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You can say how new regulations coming into play will impact the business’ products and expansion plans
- You have experience in drafting, implementing and rolling out compliance plans, frameworks and policies across a company or department.
- Your risk radar is finely tuned and you work tirelessly to mitigate them.
- Your communication skills are first class, and you are able to distil complex and cumbersome regulation into understandable English.
- You are easy to work with, and want to work in a fun, fast-growing but demanding young company.
- You’ve scaled the compliance function through international expansion.
- You’ve operated in an environment with multiple regulators having different reporting requirements.
Bonus points if:
- You’ve built a compliance function from the ground up in the past.
- You’ve managed multiple payment licences across multiple geographies.
- You have knowledge of FCA requirements and other regulations.
- You have experience of an international compliance programme.
This role would ideally suit someone with experience in a compliance team, who is looking to implement a compliance function at a younger, high-performing company. However, we recognise that the most talented people can have the most unusual backgrounds, so if you’re unsure, please apply. The role will be based in London and might require international travel.