|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft Research Cambridge, UK has a strong history of research into the design and application of embedded interactive systems and devices, as described here. We are seeking exceptional postdoc candidates who would like to pursue new research in this area.
This is a unique opportunity to work with the world's best researchers and be part of a vibrant and well-resourced world-class research environment. Microsoft Research has an open publication policy and close links to top academic institutions across the world, supporting collaboration with global thought leaders. At the same time, as one of the planet’s most successful technology companies, Microsoft provides an opportunity for research to have real-world impact via a user base of literally billions of people.
This is a two-year fixed-term career development opportunity. Postdoc researchers receive a competitive salary and benefits package and are eligible for relocation expenses.
Please include the following in your application:
- A CV which lists all peer-reviewed publications, major projects and accomplishments.
- At least two referees.
- A research statement that outlines your research vision.
A wide variety of day-to-day activities are inherent in world-class research. These include brainstorming, reviewing literature, designing and building prototypes, running experiments, distilling insights, giving demonstrations, leading and contributing to publications, hiring and mentoring interns, and engaging with the research community. The successful applicant will collaborate closely with colleagues across Microsoft Research worldwide while engaging in all these activities.
Current topics of focus within the area of embedded and interactive systems and devices include:
- Hardware and software prototyping tools for embedded devices.
- Tools and techniques that support low volume hardware production.
- Physical computing and its role in computer science education.
- Energy harvesting and wireless power transfer.
- Wearable and embedded camera systems and applications.
- Embedded and ambient displays.
- Sustainable embedded device manufacture and operation.
The successful candidate will propose, explore, and develop ambitious research challenges in one or more of the above focus areas, thereby helping to shape Microsoft Research’s program of research in this area.
You are expected to drive forward an effective program of research within their area of focus, ultimately enabling the teams they work with within Microsoft Research to deliver innovations with lasting impact.
Qualifications for this position include:
- A PhD degree in design, engineering, computer science or a related area.
- Ability to carry out research in the area of embedded and interactive systems and devices.
- A track record of research impact demonstrated by:
- research artefacts – prototypes, demonstrations and experimental data;
- journal and conference publications at top-tier international venues; and/or
- adoption of research output by others.
- Specific skills in one or more of the following areas:
- mechanical and industrial design;
- electronic circuit design and prototyping;
- embedded firmware development;
- wired and/or wireless communications and networking.
- Exposure to the entire embedded systems stack from hardware, through device firmware to local and cloud communications.
- Exposure to user research and understanding techniques such as ethnography, interviews, surveys and instrumentation.
- Good knowledge of relevant research literature and exposure to international research conferences.
- Scientific leadership demonstrated by academic service such as paper reviewing and conference duties.
- Track record of team-working and collaboration.
- Effective writing and presentation skills and ideally entrepreneurial skills.
- Willingness to move into new technical areas as necessary, and ability to learn new skills quickly.
- Open to occasional international travel to attend conferences and conduct research collaborations.
- Self-motivation and ability to work autonomously.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.