|Location:||England, Gloucestershire, Greater London, Midlothian, Milton Keynes, Reading, Surrey, Wales|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
We are looking to hire hands-on cloud engineers to join our diverse, talented, high performance, and rapidly growing Azure Customer Engineering team within EMEA. The position is deeply technical and highly solution focused with unique opportunities to work on the most challenging and exciting projects using the Azure platform, as well as providing an opportunity to drive feedback into core Azure products to help improve the platform.
Azure Customer Engineers are senior individual contributors who operate globally and engage directly with customers. It is a hands-on technical role spanning across design, build, and production with a focus on issue resolution to remove customer production blockers. Candidates are expected to comfortably switch from a whiteboard to the Azure Portal and Visual Studio. This is a truly exciting role that will feature unique and challenging technical problems to solve, with opportunities to connect with and learn from some of the best software engineers in the world.
The Azure Customer Engineering team operates within the Customer Success (CS) organization, which focuses on Microsoft’s Cloud and AI Platform from within the Worldwide Commercial Business (WCB). Customer Success is an enterprise organization within Microsoft that is responsible for helping customers to build, deploy and operate Microsoft’s Cloud and AI platform.
The Azure Customer Engineering team is a highly technical team that operates globally and is responsible for:
- Working directly with our most strategic customer projects worldwide to ensure they are successful on the Azure platform, with a special focus on designing and helping customers to build production applications and reduce technical debt.
- Providing a positive impact to the strategic direction of Azure engineering teams by ensuring they fully understand the end to end technical details of their services through the eyes of our customers.
- Curating and producing high quality guidance for our internal and external communities, to share best practices with the larger community worldwide.
- The development and mentorship of technical delivery personnel within the Customer Success organization.
There will be up to 50% travel for this role as Azure Customer Engineers are expected to work on-site with customers across EMEA, with a further need to be in Redmond WA reasonably regularly to engage directly with the broader Customer Engineering Team and Azure engineering teams.
Azure Customer Engineers are remote workers that can be based across different Microsoft locations or home offices depending on individual circumstances.
The ideal candidate will have a breadth of knowledge across Azure and cloud computing topics, as well as specialist hands-on expertise in topics from one or more of the technical areas below:
- Engineering distributed applications within architectural scenarios such as Web and IoT.
- Designing scalable solutions on Azure with focus on performance and resiliency.
- Application design patterns, and anti-patterns, such as MVC, CQRS or SAGA.
- Implementing messaging patterns and application integration techniques and technologies.
- Interacting with and querying databases and/or NoSQL datastores.
- Application monitoring and end to end telemetry.
- Implementing microservice architectures.
- Containers for packaging application deployment units and interacting with container-orchestration technologies such as Kubernetes and Service Fabric.
- Defining CI/CD pipelines to automate test and release across different application environments using concepts such as Blue/Green and Canary deployments.
- Source code management using Git or other source control technologies such as TFS.
- Open source technologies and frameworks.
- Modelling cloud infrastructure based on application scale and capacity needs, providing data-driven recommendations to optimize application architecture and performance.
- Use of architectural patterns and anti-patterns for resiliency and geo-availability.
- Cloud networking and hybrid connectivity with expertise in BGP and SD-WAN solutions as well as Azure networking services such as Express Route.
- Application migrations for scenarios involving components such as Windows/Linux VMs, databases, NFS/SMB file shares, and VDI.
- Management, monitoring and operations at-scale, preferably in a cloud environment.
- Identity and access control with experience administering B2B and B2C applications as well as a working knowledge of Azure AD.
- Security and governance with a strong proficiency in defining and modelling security baselines.
- Infrastructure-as-Code to build, test and deploy infrastructure for application environments.
- Running microservices and container-based workloads in production.
- CNCF projects and open source technologies.
Data and Analytics
- Relational database migrations across SQL Server and OSS database technologies.
- Open source relational database technologies such as MySQL, MariaDB and PostgreSQL; preferably in the context of Azure Database.
- Azure Cosmos DB with an understanding of how to achieve scalability and availability.
- Working with structured and unstructured data in Big Data scenarios using technologies such as SQL Data Warehouse, Snowflake, Big Query, Redshift and data lake concepts.
- Advanced Analytics using technologies such as Databricks and Spark.
- Developing streaming workloads using technologies such as Spark streaming, Flink, Kafka streams and Storm.
- Visualization tools such as PowerBI, Tableau and Qlik.
- Data governance, logging and lineage.
- Data Science deployments and the use of frameworks such as Pandas and TensorFlow.
- Machine Learning, preferably using Azure ML and ML Server.
- Artificial Intelligence, preferably using Azure Cognitive Services and the Microsoft Bot Framework.
Candidates must also exhibit a technical propensity to learn new technologies and stay abreast of Azure advancements and understand relevant cloud trends.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.