|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Station B project at Microsoft Research in Cambridge (UK) aims to develop an integrated system of intelligence for programming biology, by combining biological programming languages, simulation and analysis methods, compilers, lab automation and machine learning at scale, to produce systematized biological knowledge that is stored in the Microsoft Azure cloud.
The team is seeking to hire an exceptional experimental biologist to run the biological wet lab and conduct a program of synthetic biological research as part of the Station B project. The candidate will work closely with other Station B researchers to develop the experimental and computational tools required for a platform for programming biology and use those tools to produce impactful scientific output that can be published in leading journals.
- Develop and conduct a program of microbial synthetic biology research that leads to high-impact publications
- Collaborate with Station B researchers to develop and test workflows and software tools for DNA assembly, synthetic device characterization, and integration of experimental data with computational models.
- Maintain and expand the capabilities of the biological wet lab to perform cutting edge synthetic biology experiments
- Manage collaborations with external researchers in industry and academia
- PhD in experimental molecular biology or equivalent
- Postdoctoral experience, ideally including industry experience.
- Publications in leading scientific journals
- Familiarity with synthetic biology techniques including DNA assembly, quantitative fluorescence and microscopy
- Experience developing automated workflows using liquid-handling robots
- Experience using mathematical models and computational tools to generate biological understanding
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.