|Job Type:||Full Time|
We are looking to hire hands-on cloud engineers with specialist Linux expertise to join our diverse, talented, high performance, and rapidly growing Azure Customer Engineering team within EMEA. The position is deeply technical and highly solution focused with unique opportunities to work on the most challenging and exciting projects using the Azure platform, as well as providing an opportunity to drive feedback into core Azure products to help improve the platform.
Azure Customer Engineers are senior individual contributors who operate globally and engage directly with customers. It is a hands-on technical role spanning across design, build, and production with a focus on issue resolution to remove customer production blockers. Candidates are expected to comfortably switch from a whiteboard to the Azure Portal and Visual Studio. This is a truly exciting role that will feature unique and challenging technical problems to solve, with opportunities to connect with and learn from some of the best software engineers in the world.
The Azure Customer Engineering team operates within the Customer Success (CS) organization, which focuses on Microsoft’s Cloud and AI Platform from within the Worldwide Commercial Business (WCB). Customer Success is an enterprise organization within Microsoft that is responsible for helping customers to build, deploy and operate Microsoft’s Cloud and AI platform.
The Azure Customer Engineering team is a highly technical team that operates globally and is responsible for:
- Working directly with our most strategic customer projects worldwide to ensure they are successful on the Azure platform, with a special focus on designing and helping customers to build production applications and reduce technical debt.
- Providing a positive impact to the strategic direction of Azure engineering teams by ensuring they fully understand the end to end technical details of their services through the eyes of our customers.
- Curating and producing high quality guidance for our internal and external communities, to share best practices with the larger community worldwide.
- The development and mentorship of technical delivery personnel within the Customer Success organization.
There will be up to 50% travel for this role as Azure Customer Engineers are expected to work on-site with customers across EMEA, with a further need to be in Redmond WA reasonably regularly to engage directly with the broader Customer Engineering Team and Azure engineering teams.
The ideal candidate will have a breadth of knowledge across cloud computing topics and Azure, as well as specialist hands-on expertise administering Linux distros, preferably Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
More specifically, the ideal candidate will have experience across the following topics:
- Linux administration across the boot process, file systems, network device and protocol configuration.
- shell environments, such as bash, sh, tcsh, ksh.
- core OS services, such as SSH, telnet, FTP, NFS, DNS, DHCP, Samba, LDAP.
- Linux script-based development environments and tools, such as python, perl, php.
- Modelling cloud infrastructure to optimize application architecture and performance.
- Use of architectural patterns and anti-patterns for resiliency and geo-availability.
- Management, monitoring and operations at-scale, preferably in a cloud environment.
- Security and governance with a strong proficiency in defining and modelling security baselines for Linux VMs.
- Infrastructure-as-Code to build, test and deploy infrastructure for Linux based application environments.
- Running microservices and container-based workloads in production.
- Hands-on application development on Linux platforms.
Candidates must also exhibit a technical propensity to learn new technologies and understand relevant cloud trends.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.