|Job Type:||Full Time|
Rare: we're not your typical developer. Our 30+ years in the game-making business have been dedicated to crafting one beloved title after another, constantly trying new things, and infusing the fun we have every day into the games we create. Check out the Rare Replay collection for three whirlwind decades of evidence! We strive to keep Rare a fantastic place to work, from its beautiful location and state-of-the-art facilities to a strong focus on work/life balance.
If you're a keen gamer, chances are you've already caught wind of our epic shared world pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, released in March 2018 and a journey we're committed to for the long haul even as we begin to think about what's out there beyond the horizon. With every day bringing new challenges and discoveries in equal measure, there's never been a more rewarding time to join our daredevil crew!
We’re searching for a skilled Game Tools Programmer to join our exciting game team! We’re striving to build a richly detailed, fantastic world and our Tools Programmer would enable us to empower all aspects of our game development process.
As a Game Tools Programmer, you’ll be working directly with all disciplines to identify workflow issues, product requirements, and helping to develop solutions which empower others and eradicate inefficiencies across the team.You’ll be regularly switching between building visualisations, improving workflows and facilitating others through customisable editors.
Games are hugely complex pieces of software which are often tough to understand and difficult to author; however, with the right tool for the job we believe that we can overcome these challenges, allowing us to experiment more, learn more, and iterate more, to the benefit of both our development experience and the players experience.
You would be part of a team that are big believers in high-quality engineering and fast iteration with robust methods. We embrace modern development practices such as continuous delivery, automated testing, code reviews, pair programming and agile methods.
As part of our team, we will encourage you to explore and grow your skills, whether through engineering discussions, hosting one of our in-house workshops, or signing up to be part of our Engineering Process Group to help steer how we build games in the future.
If the above sounds like something you are interested in, keep reading…
- Keen enthusiasm in tools and workflow, and able to take a key role in their creation, working from concept through delivery to boost our team’s creativity and productivity.
- Build visualisations, editors, and other debug tools to support the construction and operation of our games, coding inside our game or alongside it as necessary.
- Advise and assist all disciplines so that we are all best placed to use tooling to make an even better game.
- Represent the game’s agenda when collaborating with centralised Studio resources, such as our Build and Engine teams.
- Drive adoption of industry-leading approaches and work with research organisations in other parts of Microsoft to bring advances in technology to our game tools.
- Be part of Rare’s culture; Be inquisitive, try things out, break stuff and help people be even better.
- At least 2 years of professional games experience or equivalent that would put you at this level.
- Recent professional experience developing in C++.
- Excellent communication skills, and keenness for empowering others.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Practical familiarity with either gameplay programming or authoring in-game tools.
- Familiarity with Unreal Engine. Even better if you’ve modified the engine or extended the editor.
- Familiarity with Build management systems, such as Team City.
- A solid grounding in Computer Science theory and development practices.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.