About the role
Join our technical team as a Database Administrator to support and maintain our Oracle and SQL databases on cloud, on-premise and co-located infrastructure. You will be responsible for implementing and maintaining our business critical database infrastructure, ensuring that it is operating and performing at its best at all times. This is a fast-paced role where no two days are the same. In this role your time will be spent on supporting existing systems and working with projects to build and integrate new systems and capabilities.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Ensure the uptime and stability of the Production and Development database infrastructure (Oracle + MS SQL).
- Manage all monitoring and alerting of the database infrastructure. Practice root cause resolution, not sticking plaster fixes.
- Provide 2nd + 3rd line application support for all in house developed / bespoke applications from a database perspective.
- Always seek to find ways to improve the usage of the databases
- Work alone, and as part of the wider team on projects
- Work closely with our Engineering and DevOps teams to ensure applications are performant from a database perspective
- You will be a passionate database administrator, mastering in Oracle but with a good level of MS SQL commercial experience as well.
- You will understand the inner workings of Oracle database and ancillary tool like ODI.
- You will have experience of running Oracle / SQL on premise and in the Cloud, particularly EC2 and RDS.
- You will be great at performance tuning and trouble shooting of Oracle / SQL database configuration and T-SQL / PL-SQL.
- You will have supported business critical database systems in a high demand environment.
- You will be well versed in database monitoring tools and how to use them effectively (e.g. SolarWinds / Spotlight).
- You will thrive on finding new ways to bring efficiencies to data driven tasks.
- You will be extremely inquisitive and want to understand the details of our applications and how they work.
- You should have had at least some experience with NoSQL databases like MongoDB.
- If you have experience in any application development or big data analytics, then that would be great too.
This is a fast-paced role where no two days are the same. In this role your time will be spent on supporting existing systems and working with projects to build and integrate new systems and capabilities.
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, USA, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome driven, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (which includes shares for eligible employees), a culture which emphasises wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development. infrastructure, ensuring that it is operating and performing at its best at all times.