|Job Type:||Full Time|
Rare: we're not your typical developer. Our 30+ years in the game-making business have been dedicated to crafting one beloved title after another, constantly trying new things, and infusing the fun we have every day into the games we create. Check out the Rare Replay collection for three whirlwind decades of evidence! We strive to keep Rare a fantastic place to work, from its beautiful location and state-of-the-art facilities to a strong focus on work/life balance.
If you're a keen gamer, chances are you've already caught wind of our epic shared world pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, released in March 2018 and a journey we're committed to for the long haul even as we begin to think about what's out there beyond the horizon. With every day bringing new challenges and discoveries in equal measure, there's never been a more rewarding time to join our daredevil crew!
Location: Rare - Microsoft Studios – Twycross, Warwickshire
Got an ear for captivating audio design? An enthusiasm for audio systems? You could be our next Sound Design Intern!
You would be joining our world class audio team at Rare, working on iconic soundtracks for our games. What’s essential is that you’re a keen audio junior, student or graduate, that can assist in translating our design vision into implementations of specific audio systems and gripping content. Content which will need to be created with all technical limitations in mind.
As Audio Design Intern, your role will be to implement interactive systems and content into the product and be accountable to the wider game and audio direction. We’re looking for interns who have a high level of initiative, enthusiasm, resilience and organisation skills.
As an intern at Rare, you play a vital role in our team right in the action of games development. Not only would you be working in our top-class facility, but you’ll be supported by some of the best game developers in the industry.
We value the fresh mindset and exciting ideas that come with our interns and support their growth wherever possible. In turn, we’re looking for individuals who want to make the best out of their year with us and develop as individuals.
If this sounds like you, keep reading...
- Build captivating audio assets that express the emotional gestalt of a scene through connections of the various audio, visual, and gameplay elements.
- Apply in-depth knowledge of the spectrum of viable sound design techniques to develop interactive systems for a game area or section.
- Create highly believable and immersive effects for key game areas.
- Use knowledge of audio asset preparation, implementation and in-game mixing.
- Assess the audio asset requirements of a game and assist in mapping a strategy for acquiring and cataloguing the needed source.
- Develop an organised and appropriate set of audio assets as a result.
- Knowledge of audio asset preparation and in-game mixing
- Expertise in audio asset creation software, Pro-Tools, Adobe Audition, Soundforge etc. As well as audio middleware ( Wwise ) and source control software ( Perforce )
- Initiative to produce run-time audio that maximizes audio quality while functioning within the processor/memory budget
- Fantastic communication skills, initiative and passion for the craft
- Can work in a team environment, and ability to work with varied personalities
- Proactive nature
- Interest in video games
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.