|Job Type:||Full Time|
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn't have, games that are uniquely Rare! Working here offers opportunities unlike anywhere else. You'll be providing players with unforgettable shared experiences in games loved by millions worldwide. Our pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, launched in 2018, is still going strong – and alongside that we're busy creating our next magical world, Everwild, announced in 2019 to a global audience.
We strive to make Rare an amazing place to work, embracing a culture of respect and building a supportive environment for our developers. Our custom-built Twycross studio is situated in the beautiful English countryside, surrounded by woodland and wildlife, with plenty of room for us to grow. Studio benefits are catered to making life easier for staff, including flexible working, a bonus scheme, an industry-leading pension package, private healthcare, mental health initiatives and free events for employees and their families.
By joining Rare, you'll be joining one of the finest studios in the industry with support from the wider Xbox Game Studios network. We're always on the lookout for exceptional people who can bring their expertise and unique thinking to help make our team even stronger!
An extraordinary opportunity has opened for an experienced Lead World Designer, working in our game team.
As a Lead World Designer, you have the opportunity to create the living stage on which incredible player-created stories can take place, working together with outstanding game designers, writers, artists and engineers. You’re able to thrive when working as part of a team in a creative environment, yet just as comfortable taking the initiative and working under your own steam.
This kind of role does not come around often so if you have the spirit and passion required to take on new opportunities, enjoy solving creative challenges and thrive on inspiring and leading others, we would love to hear from you.
- Own and drive the creation of a scalable open-world game environment.
- Be the focal point for development and comfortable bringing together the efforts of many different disciplines including engineers, technical artists, environment artists, designers and writers.
- Inspire and motivate other team members in best practices and procedures as well as being an active and engaging communicator to the wider team.
- Create a work environment that is motivating to team members, fosters their development and welcomes creativity.
- Exceptional hands-on world design skills that you can communicate with others.
- Experience in world or level building in one or more current-generation engines/modelling tools (UE4, Unity, CryEngine, 3DS Max, Maya etc.).
- Deep understanding of the principles and best practices of large-scale open-world multiplayer design from at least one title as a World Designer.
- Ability to facilitate collaboration between engineers, artists and designers at a senior level.
- Understanding of how mechanics, dynamics and aesthetics work together to create engaging experiences.
- Ability to propose creative solutions to bring people along on the journey with you.
- Knowledge of modern game development trends – especially those that are watchable and shareable experiences or shared open-world games.
- Self-motivated, proactive and organised, able to have fun whilst being all those things!
- At least one open-world title shipped as a Senior or Lead World Designer.
- Experience with environmental storytelling and how you might use the world to tell a story without taking control away from the player.
- Experience of leadership in developing living and breathing open worlds.
- An online portfolio of previous work examples – able to talk about the process they used on a shipped title.
- A wide range of life experiences and passions that can be drawn from and focussed into a game world
- Experience as a people manager, interested in nurturing talent and growing the best team.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.