|Job Type:||Full Time|
Rare: we're not your typical developer. Our 30+ years in the game-making business have been dedicated to crafting one beloved title after another, constantly trying new things, and infusing the fun we have every day into the games we create. Check out the Rare Replay collection for three whirlwind decades of evidence! We strive to keep Rare a fantastic place to work, from its beautiful location and state-of-the-art facilities to a strong focus on work/life balance.
If you're a keen gamer, chances are you've already caught wind of our epic shared world pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, released in March 2018 and a journey we're committed to for the long haul even as we begin to think about what's out there beyond the horizon. With every day bringing new challenges and discoveries in equal measure, there's never been a more rewarding time to join our daredevil crew!
An extraordinary opportunity has opened for an experienced Lead World Designer, working in our game team.
As a Lead World Designer, you have the opportunity to create the living stage on which incredible player-created stories can take place, working together with outstanding game designers, writers, artists and engineers. You’re able to thrive when working as part of a team in a creative environment, yet just as comfortable taking the initiative and working under your own steam.
This kind of role does not come around often so if you have the spirit and passion required to take on new opportunities, enjoy solving creative challenges and thrive on inspiring and leading others, we would love to hear from you.
- Own and drive the creation of a scalable open-world game environment.
- Be the focal point for development and comfortable bringing together the efforts of many different disciplines including engineers, technical artists, environment artists, designers and writers.
- Inspire and motivate other team members in best practices and procedures as well as being an active and engaging communicator to the wider team.
- Create a work environment that is motivating to team members, fosters their development and welcomes creativity.
- Exceptional hands-on world design skills that you can communicate with others.
- Experience in world or level building in one or more current-generation engines/modelling tools (UE4, Unity, CryEngine, 3DS Max, Maya etc.).
- Deep understanding of the principles and best practices of large-scale open-world multiplayer design from at least one title as a World Designer.
- Ability to facilitate collaboration between engineers, artists and designers at a senior level.
- Understanding of how mechanics, dynamics and aesthetics work together to create engaging experiences.
- Ability to propose creative solutions to bring people along on the journey with you.
- Knowledge of modern game development trends – especially those that are watchable and shareable experiences or shared open-world games.
- Self-motivated, proactive and organised, able to have fun whilst being all those things!
- At least one open-world title shipped as a Senior or Lead World Designer.
- Experience with environmental storytelling and how you might use the world to tell a story without taking control away from the player.
- Experience of leadership in developing living and breathing open worlds.
- An online portfolio of previous work examples – able to talk about the process they used on a shipped title.
- A wide range of life experiences and passions that can be drawn from and focussed into a game world
- Experience as a people manager, interested in nurturing talent and growing the best team.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.